ATI GPU image quality just looks better! But why?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by gongo, Apr 5, 2009.

1. gongo

Regular

I have always heard about how ATI image is more vibrant and striking but always skeptical myself. How was this possible, at this day and age, since the imaging hardware should be of the same quality. The ramdacs runs at speed past normal monitors, dvi is digital is digital, 2d rendering is cheap, etc. etc.

That is until what i have experienced that I couldn't believe my eyes initially but, but it is true! The colors and 2D stability between my 6800GT and HD3300 on my Dell 2407WS monitor via VGA, the ATI integrated chipset actually provides a clean 2D, text especially there are no faint double images, the colors are indeed more vibrant and the contrast is more balanced, and all are without any calibration! The old 6800GT i had to constantly go to Nvidia image calibrator and tweak my contrast and gamma and even so my image on screen was never this clear!

I have tried DVI and same thing, the 6800GT while no longer have faint double images, exhibits a faint white glow overlay while the HD3300 just look right! I have not touched any calibration, at all, since using my new PC for a month!

Here comes my question, a simple one that dates back to the start of my thread, how is this possible? Driver level problems or Nvidia cheaping out on imaging hardware?

2. air_ii

Newcomer

Without relating to the validity of your claim, you might want to compare adapters from more or less the same generation.

3. Florin

Florin Merrily dodgy
    Veteran

Or the subjective perception of a test group with a sample size which is 1 so far (but c'mon B3D, here's a chance to testify!).

4. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

True. 7900GT/8800GTX -> 4870. Improved color representation and image clarity right out of the box. With NV I had to calibrate the sharpness and colors in the NVCP.

5. Davros

Legend

Dave is that you...

6. no-X

Veteran

I know a professional photographer, who says, that Radeons at default have more accurate colours, than anything what he can get out of GeForce even with custom tweaks in CP (so he use only Radeon cards no matter if they are fater or slower in 3D).

I don't know, what's the cause of the IQ, but the engineer, who is responsible for that, does his job right :smile:

7. gongo

Regular

If i get what you are saying that that is my question, just how much is it hardware relatedl? And how come? The 6800GT is by no means a budget sku while my onboard video probably counts as one...

8. gongo

Regular

I swear i am not seeing things! There is a perceptable difference in clarity especially when it came to VGA. The faint double image caused me lots of headache when i switched to VGA with the 6800GT. I had tried tweaking NV digital vibrance too but the vibrance just felt... not as nice... as ATI default video out!

9. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

Photos, or it didn't happen.

Seriously. Get a decent SLR (Canon/Nikon), a decent macro lens (a *macro* lens, not a lens with a macro setting), and a tripod. Shoot RAW, convert to TIFF/PNG, crop hard and post the results.

10. gongo

Regular

Hahahha..i am stumped by your request, but honestly, i can tell a difference and i stand by that. I was very skeptical about such "fanboy" claims but i am a convert.

Could it be my 6800GT vga controller is bad? What caused it to be "bad"? As for the colors and contrast, i really have no idea what is the caused for ATI default superiority! The image engineers must have been paid very well.

11. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

There is a big difference between accurate and "looks good". You're never going to be able to find some concrete answer for why you think something looks better. It's all subjective, just stick with what you like.

12. Davros

Legend

the point is a bit moot now as most people use dvi

13. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

Not only that, but some "subjective" testing of various audio compression schemes that I did on this forum a few months back shows that accurate != preferable.

I can't imagine it being any different for video.

14. no-X

Veteran

Sorry, this is nonsense. How can you judge per-pixel image quality by using a tool, which is based upon low-pass optical filter and bayer mask, which creates 2/3 of color information by digital interpolations? (while the rest completely process by several algorithms reducing aliasing, noise, changing levels, dynamic range and other imperfections of CMOS/CCD)

Davros: There is difference in colours even when using DVI. I don't know what the two companies do in a different way, but the difference in colours is mentioned persistently and often by people, who works as photographers, designers, ets. so definately not fanboys.

15. Tchock

Regular

^

Foveon X3 to the rescue! :grin:

Anyway the Chiphell guys were particular on pre-G80 nVidia adapters in 2D. Before the F word is thrown around, seems like the whole issue was resolved post G80. The 2D display engine being completely virtualized in R600+ chips has an effect on this, too?

16. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

It would be nice though don't you think if folks could make at least *some* attempt to document and demonstrate what they say they think they're seeing? Obviously this isn't possible for all elements of the image quality discussion (particularly colour-related), but for things like ghosting and glows it's not *that* hard.

But if someone is claiming for example "oh, my 40" Samsung HDTV seems to show a sort of halo/glow/smearing effect around text even when I'm using HDMI, here's a photo I took to try to demonstrate it..."

[​IMG]

Obviously I've had to de-focus a little to avoid resolving the individual colour elements, but I think the effect is pretty clear to see, especially if you stand back and/or use averted viewing.

17. no-X

Veteran

Foveon is good for capturing per-pixel detail and per-pixel colour information, but because of the specific approach, sensitivity of the 3 colour layers isn't identical (their curves are anything, but aligned and a lot of corrections are applied, too) - so I don't thing DSLRs are optimal tools for measuring of colour accuracy :)

18. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Well there's no denying that GFFX - GF7 were deficient in the 3D quality. But for 2D, I don't think I've ever seen a difference when dealing with DVI. Even VGA output from modern mid/high-end cards is great. If you look at IGPs or cheap cards, VGA can get ugly because the signal quality wasn't a big concern but DVI still works great.

19. WaltC

Veteran

BelleVue Sanatorium, Billary, NY. Patient privile
    Reminds me of years ago when, in 3d games, of course, my 3dfx card would display proper oranges and reds so that you could discern the difference between the two colors, whereas my TNT displayed orange and red as red, on the same monitor. In fact, at first I thought there was something wrong with the 3dfx card until I realized that there was no orange to see on the TNT display-just red! I tinkered with the TNT's color controls and alleviated it to some degree, but then doing so threw off other colors in the display.

20. OpenGL guy

Veteran

Do you have ClearType fonts enabled?