ATI Gaming Evolved devrel program

hoom

Veteran
Interview with Neal Robinson, Richard Huddy & David Hoff at Xbit
New, better replacement for the Get In The Game program or just a different name for same old devrel?

Until I some see bitchin' logos during the game start of a few AAA Titles, it's all talk to me just like with "Get in the Game".

Well, even games like AvP and BF:BC2 have had (and continue to have) driver problems on ATI so I'm not sure this is having any major effect thus far. Better days will come. <shrug>

OTOH, I think this is bigger than the ATI vs NVIDIA battlegrounds. I believe ATI/AMD are finally realising that the more consoles gain on PC the less future they will have. No wonder they're pushing OpenGL now. If the Mac gains traction and makes Microsoft pay a little more attention to Windows Gaming that's one way to do it. It would have been easier if their support of OpenGL in the past was as strong as it appears to be now but what the hey.

I suppose only an ATI/NVIDIA alliance will help PC gaming at this point though. They need to stop with the PhysX/EYEFINITY/(S)3D shens and concentrate on saving their future market.

Until I some see bitchin' logos during the game start of a few AAA Titles, it's all talk to me just like with "Get in the Game".
Why does that matter? Its the results that count - in effect this it putting a name to the efforts that have already happened and bringing more focus to that. When you take a look at the titles that have signed over the past year or so, and think about how many Eyefinity enabled and/or DX11 titles out there now, I think what has been achieved is night and day in comparison to what has happened previously.

No wonder they're pushing OpenGL now.
Sorry?

Whats OpenGL 4.0? Is it that thing that pretends to be DX11 but can't quite manage it?! :p

Why does that matter? Its the results that count - in effect this it putting a name to the efforts that have already happened and bringing more focus to that.

Wrong.

Results don't matter at all, what matters is the big shiny logo, which has to be displayed at every possibly opportunity.

It is just another form of conditioning, the more the merrier.

I suppose only an ATI/NVIDIA alliance will help PC gaming at this point though. They need to stop with the PhysX/EYEFINITY/(S)3D shens and concentrate on saving their future market.

Eh? Any title that supports Eyefinity will automatically just work once ATI releases a drive that merges multiple monitors into a single display surface.

I agree though that it would be nice if each IHV communicated new features with each other and coordinated things such that rather than trying to divide the gaming market through proprietary features they leave product differentiation down to implementation and performance. Something MS has been trying to get them to do by mediating what features must be in DX with limited success.

That said the last proprietary feature ATI introduced was tesselation pre-DX11. And with Nvidia PhysX and still pushing for proprietary CUDA in games over OpenCL and Compute Shaders.

One problem with OpenGL is that it will just continue to fracture the gaming market through proprietary features leveraged through extensions. It'll make it easier possibly for the IHVs to do their own thing, but will continue to make PC computing (including Mac) less desirable than consoles when you have no idea if buying X card will allow you use all features in Y game in the future.

Regards,
SB

Perhaps that was because the competition didn't have OpenGL 4.0 capable hardware at the time? :p

Oh snap!

<snip>
I agree though that it would be nice if each IHV communicated new features with each other and coordinated things such that rather than trying to divide the gaming market through proprietary features they leave product differentiation down to implementation and performance.<snip>will continue to make PC computing (including Mac) less desirable than consoles when you have no idea if buying X card will allow you use all features in Y game in the future</snip>

This was my intended meaning. Gamers look at that and say "screw it I'm buying a console". Talking to devs is good, supporting them is great but if ATI and NVIDIA have to pool their resources and buy PC exclusive DLCs deals or whatever, then that must be an option on the table. Microsoft and Sony are spending money to sell their hardware, maybe ATI and NVIDIA have to do the same. Things would go better if they cooperated.

Hi Dave,

Why does that matter? Its the results that count - in effect this it putting a name to the efforts that have already happened and bringing more focus to that. When you take a look at the titles that have signed over the past year or so, and think about how many Eyefinity enabled and/or DX11 titles out there now, I think what has been achieved is night and day in comparison to what has happened previously.

I've got two question you maybe can help me with:

First is, what special prerequisites are in place to "support" Eyefinity other than widescreen scaling and accepting all resolutions offered by the driver?

And the second would be about DX11 games: After the first "wave" of sevenish to tenish titles, devs seem awfully quiet about moving to DX11 or did I miss something important.

And the second would be about DX11 games: After the first "wave" of sevenish to tenish titles, devs seem awfully quiet about moving to DX11 or did I miss something important.

It might be that many devs were expecting Fermi to have a larger impact (more supply) than it eventually ended up having. Likewise supply issues with 40 nm and thus supply issues with Evergreen (I still would rather say Rv8xx. :p) have also constrained the total Dx11 market more than was expected.

Having the entire Dx11 market be much much smaller than they might have been predicting can put a damper on things.

Could it have been enough to make some devs rethink where to focus developement dollars? Or possibly to prolong developement in the hopes that the Dx11 title will launch when there is more Dx11 systems out? Hard to tell, but it's some theories that I have anyway.

Regards,
SB

From where I'm sitting, Fermi supply readily meets demand for it. The general 40nm issue was known since when? Q1 2009? In any case readily before the touted rapid technology uptake of developers.

I think that's more from lack of demand than millions of cards expanding the Dx11 market penetration. :p

They obviously aren't selling that fast if AIB's are BIOS modding 470s to 465s in an attempt to move 470 boards.

Imagine how much larger the market would be if ATI hadn't been severly supply constrained the first few months. If Nvidia hadn't had so many problems and launched earlier with a cooler less power hungry card such that it moved at least as many (if not more, considering the paper launch hype) Dx11 cards as ATI have moved 58xx cards. That is probably what devs were expecting when they started working on their Dx11 titles.

Regards,
SB

First is, what special prerequisites are in place to "support" Eyefinity other than widescreen scaling and accepting all resolutions offered by the driver?

They Eyefinity Ready and Validated requirements are fully documented and viewable, detailing all the features to get to either of those levels; note, though, that 3x1 is considered to be the "clincher" (i.e. if a title meets Validated criteria under 3x1 but not other modes we would still consider that as validated). IIRC Splinter Cell Conviction and Prince of Persia were both released at Validated level under this criteria.

I'd put that down to the mid year / summer lull more than anything else. Still lots to come up.

note, though, that 3x1 is considered to be the "clincher" (i.e. if a title meets Validated criteria under 3x1 but not other modes we would still consider that as validated). IIRC Splinter Cell Conviction and Prince of Persia were both released at Validated level under this criteria.

That is good news. Games don't need to function and be designed perfectly for other combinations, it's a bonus if they are. 3x1 is where it's at and ATI realizes this.

Back