ATI Game Developer Conference Sep 6-7

Geo

Mostly Harmless
Legend
Sooo, what's this about, I wonder? Is this an inaugural event? For instance, I do not see it on the calendar for 2004. . .

Interesting that it would follow by about a week the Game Developer Conference Europe. Maybe something will happen at the first that will make the second more. . .umm. . .informative from a teaching/learning pov?

I think they have every year such an event. Didn't they call it mojo day or something. Maybe they combine it with the r520 launch.

At the GDC Europe they only have 2 sessions. The usual about dx optimisations and spherical harmonic,irradiance lighting.

Pete said:
Think Valve'll go two for two and announce Lost Coast numbers? :)

As I've been saying since may? although valve keeps denying it.. r520=lost coast and lost coast=r520.. the timetables for these two are intertwined since november last year..

You know if you wanted to beef the conspirary theory up a notch or two you could say this was planned since Sep 23 2003. ;)

Mordenkainen said:
You know if you wanted to beef the conspirary theory up a notch or two you could say this was planned since Sep 23 2003. ;)

They allready signed the contract for R520+lost coast back in 1996!

:oops:

But seriously their "imminent release" and succesive postponing are linked too much, no matter how much doug lombardi refuses it.. since, we had screenshots of lost coast working, what? months ago? why would they wait with it? untill they finished the add-on for hl2?

Gabe has been mentioning the Ati levels ever since the first tapeout of the R520 (november last year.)

Steam Update showed pictures of Lost Coast back in februari. .now I won't say anything about a second tapeout but that product was within a three month launch window.. and everyone was still expecting to see both xfire and r520 at the computex in may. then they would get together at E3, although the r520 was there, lost coast was not..
So what's holding back valve? the level was "almost done" back in februari, it's july now.. half a year's work one one level? incompetent programmers who can build a visaully stunning game, but can't get HDR to work?
Did we not see movies of the hl2 engine running hdr?
WHAT, besides an ati card for the ati levels, is holding back valve from releasing lost coast?

neliz said:
WHAT, besides an ati card for the ati levels, is holding back valve from releasing lost coast?
Occam's Razor would suggest Lost Coast is not finished yet.

Just curious: How does the DoD: S delay fit into your conspiracy theory?

dod. that's a good one.
methinks dod: s will be released at the same time, or within two weeks after lost coast.

If the r520 still makes it debut in a few days (july 26) that'd be a good thing..

Besides, with stalker being postponed 'till 2006, who fears the fps market? http://www.gamepro.com/computer/pc/games/news/46594.shtml

but then again. I'm not really interested in DOD, just lost coast and r520..

(I'm wondering about the DOD screenshots. have we seen any without bloom/hdr yet?)
I know bloom is in the source engine (and you need something like gary's mod to get it out) ...

oh well.. we don't have to wait too long..

The reason for DODS's delay is that they are redoing all the maps, ala CSS style. Only they will feature HDR as well.

Back