ATI driver profiles.. coming soon

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by FrameBuffer, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Dave Glue

Regular

Now all they need is a digital vibrance equivalent. :)

2. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

CCC has "Avivo Color Correction" with Hue and Saturation sliders.

3. Diverge

Newcomer

Does this mean that we can create a profile for a game that ATI hasn't supported for crossfire?

4. karlotta

karlotta pifft
    Veteran

But that doesnt work in games...

5. IRQ Conflict

Really? I thought it did. You know what I miss? The post processing effects that used to be included with Catalyst. More of a toy than an an actual useful feature but it was fun non the less.

6. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

But in CCC -> Desktops & Displays -> Right clicking monitor icon and selecting configure -> Avivo Color-> Hue/saturation, color temp control. These AFAIK works for games and Windows desktop and is separate from the Video settings.

7. karlotta

karlotta pifft
    Veteran

wow duh... thnx

8. Humus

Humus Crazy coder
    Veteran

Having games be compatible with driver overrides is kinda backwards. AA and AF overrides were great tools for gamers back when they were introduced and no games supported them. Enabling AF on all textures never broke anything back then (even if it was more expensive than necessary), and games always rendered straight to the backbuffer and DirectX didn't allow any direct sample access, so it was pretty safe to just modify the backbuffer and everything worked. Nowaday game engines are alot more sofisticated and diverse and these overrides are way past their expiration day. Forcing AF can introduce all kinds of ugly artifacts and it's certainly not always the case that the game's "main" buffer is the backbuffer. For instance it's not the case with our engine we use at Avalanche. We do support in-game setting of AA and AF though. With theHunter we had all kinds of problems with driver forced AA. It just didn't work with either vendor and often came with a huge performance penalty for no gain in visual gains. We ended up asking both IHVs to disable AA overrides when the game was detected since we supported it in-game anyway and it just caused problems. The same problem would likely occur in Just Cause 2 too, but honestly I haven't touched the driver control panel settings so I don't know. I stopped changing driver settings sometime around 2004 or so and have never felt a need to touch them again.

9. Silent_Buddha

Legend

You're my Hero!

That's just awesome, I hope more devs start to do this. Not only supporting in game settings for AA/AF for all hardware, but also working with IHVs to then make sure they don't force it for that game.

Well as long as the AA/AF in game is good. :)

Regards,
    SB

10. jaredpace

Newcomer

Generally, is it better to use a game's built in AA/AF versus using the Driver control panel?

11. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

Always.

12. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Especiallly with deferred renderers.

Regards,
    SB

13. vazel

Regular

Funny, I already set profiles in Ati Tray Tools. Is it because it's a less appealing GUI than nhancer? I do miss the better GUIs of the nvidia control panel and nhancer...

14. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I think it's because you have to activate each profile individually that matters, they don't set themselves automagically when the .exe is detected...do they?

And yeah, the GUI sucks. :(

15. Silent_Buddha

Legend

With ATI Tray Tools (ATT) it can do app detection and switch profiles I believe. Never used it though, I prefer to not have to do profiles in the first place.

Regards,
    SB

16. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

ATT tends to crash my PC since putting a 5970 in, although I haven't tried it in months. Thanks.

I STILL want ATi to put something like it out, as easy to use as nVidia's profiler and with app detection. :(

17. Davros

Legend

Lets hope it also has app display as so far this seems to be beyond nvidia :(

18. vazel

Regular

ATT does set profiles automatically when it detects .exe's. It can also display frames per second and GPU/CPU temps in-game like Rivatuner at the press of a hotkey(although that conflicts with the Steam overlay but you can create profiles to disable the OSD for games that make use of Steam friends list and achievement features).

#38 vazel, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2010
  19. mapel110

Newcomer

The most interesting thing at the profiles is to deactivate A.I. when the game doesn't need it. -> Better AF-Quality. Maybe they allow to deactivate A.I. (AF-Optimizations) even for Crossfire-Systems.

20. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Yes well, Tim Sweeney's little engine that can't is kinda backwards ... but we still run into it an awful lot.