ATI DevRel Interview at Guru3D

Geo

Mostly Harmless
Legend
Neil Robison, global Director for Developer Relations.

Unfortunately, it is nearly content-free (the classical "PR interview"), which is a pity, as I suspect this indvidual has some actual news goodies he could have shared had he chosen. So, anyway, I both provided the link and warned you --click at your own peril, and don't ask for a refund for that 5 mins of your life.

Closest I could find to something interesting, and it's weak-beer for declining to name names, is, re HDR+AA games, my bold added:

I believe that the biggest issue is timing. Game developers have such a challenge these days, to take advantage of all of the rich graphic features that the ATI video cards offer. You wouldn’t believe how hard the folks at ATI are working, to make that job a little easier for developers. Help like code samples, technical support – and in some cases - helping to write the actual game code. Even with all this help, the game developers have to prioritize features, because of the pressure that publishers, and the market, place on development schedules. Many times, you’ll find that a developer has to drop features in order to make a schedule that they’ve committed to. HDR + AA may possibly be an example of that. However, we’re putting our efforts into titles that will release now - and throughout this year. I think you’ll be happy with the number of games released throughout this year that will really show the power of HDR + AA.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/article/341/

I expect NVidia will be producing a driver specifically for Quad SLI systems that forces high-x super-sampling with HDR for Oblivion and all these new games.

Jawed

That would be plain dumb. More then dumb. Idiotically dumb. I can`t see a quad-SLi solution with SSAA being faster than an XT Crossfire one with MSAA. Does NV really want that?

I think that SS 1,5x1,5 (q-SLI) won't be slower than MS 4x (d-CF) and a lot of people will not recognize IQ difference.

1.5x1.5 only adds to the baddness of that idea, IMHO. Not only des it give inferior AA quality, it also adds unwanted blur(quite a lot AFAIR). I really don`t think that they should bother with this, it`s not like there`s a helluva lot of titles doing HDR+AA.

Oblivion?Not officially, and it seems that Chuck`s patch won`t get into the drivers until the Cats 6.6 at least. GRAW?No AA for anyone.FarCry?Not officially. AGE3?One title. Others don`t come to my head ATM. When Unreal 3 will be released, NV will prolly have an architecture that does AA on FP Buffer Formats, and the point will be moot anyway. So they better get to fixing their Quad SLi drivers, instead of adding a crap hack.All IMO, of course.

Back