ATI, and OctoPort (my own game engine)

Rodéric

a.k.a. Ingenu
Veteran
I resigned my job a few months ago to work on the engine I designed about two years ago.
Key features were :
-Octree + Portal rendering (still not implemented)
-SceneGraph

The scenegraph includes a OPShader class.
I finished the first coding (proof of concept) of it a month ago, and it reads straight opengl code or opcodes (text to opcode converter not written), and generates the shader from it.
It has a fallback system which allows it to choose the best shader description in the file (each gives it's required extensions in a header).

Why do I describe my marvelous key feature in here?
simple, ATI just made a presentation about it @ GDC 2002.
(http://www.ati.com/developer/gdc/AtiGDC02Vlachos.PDF)

I was writting this engine to show off my skills and show that I'd great future proof ideas, but know I wonder if I should continue or not.
After all, before I'll finish it every single 'NEW' feature I'll add to it will be available, and I'll never be able to proove that I didn't copied papers having appeared on the web.

So is it worth it ?
Can people in here from the game industry tell me if demonstrating my engine with only 'known' features and telling that I got the idea and initial code before worldwide available will be enough to proove anything ?

Now I depressed, it seems that I'll never be able to make something new and release it before the others without getting a firm support.
(Finding the funds to make a game studio isn't easy, especially in France)

Well don't let the idea of you not being first get you down. If you do some good work and keep on pluggin away, I think you'll have an easy time convincing ppl that you've got your stuff together and can get a profitable product out the door. Also, doesn't France government have loans and junk for small/starting business. I'm sure you'll be able to get one since "high tech" is hwere it's at and I'm sure governments will be more generous to a high tech company like the one you'd have. Just make sure you have a clear plan written down and something flashy to show a few letters of encouragement from other high-tech companies are an easy way to turn heads and get attention.

Back