ATI and nVidia ramp 0.11um article at Digitimes. New model#s

Entropy

Veteran
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20040707A7033.html

Now, both the RV410 and the R430 are codes that I don't have anything looking like info on.
The RV is obviously a new value part - the "fourth" chip that Dave Orton spoke about in DaveBs intervue?
The R430 is out of the blue for me. It sounds like a step up from the 420/423. Could it be a step to the side instead, intended for the mobile market, the 16-pipe mobile chip that was referenced in a recent roadmap?

Time for the ferrets to start, er, ferreting.
That Q3 launch doesn't leave much room for proper rumour mongering though.

Edit: fixed link

Is this the right link? "Taiwan second-tier mobo makers ramp up VGA card production"?

Mendel said:
r430... maybe it's the fall refresh product?

Fall refresh using 0.11u? Low-k is not possible on 0.11u afaik and doesn't the current R420 need low-k to reach those high clockspeeds? So I think it's not a refresh, eventhough the name seems to indicate that it's a high-end chip.

I'd guess the RV410 would be an 8-pipe replacement for R360, possibly equivalent to two RV380s bolted together?

As for R430, how about a bespoke 12-pipe chip to fill the 'performance mainstream' role?

These are complete guesses, of course!

DaveBaumann said:
Mariner said:
I'd guess the RV410 would be an 8-pipe replacement for R360, possibly equivalent to two RV380s bolted together?

The clue is in the codename.

Hmmm. RV_4_10

RV = "Value"
4 = "4th generation of tech"
10 = "half the 420" i.e. 8 pipes?

There is no refresh for the r420. The new high end card from ati will be an r480 and will have sm 3.0 support

ATI's PCI Express R480 Chip Coming November, 2004
The under construction PCI Express card is set for a November release, supposedly faster than the R423 chip. Slight hints of support for Shader Model 3.0 are brewing, although this is unlikely.

From team radeons rumor mill .

I can see a 16x1 550-600mhz graphics card set up just like the r420 with 3dc and sm3.0 from ati. It makes sense from what others are saying ati wants to get another generation off the r3x0 tech .

I would be a little upset that they switched in a matter of months .

I believe a spring 2005 for the sm3.0+ part is more likely. But u never know.

CJ said:
Mendel said:
r430... maybe it's the fall refresh product?

Fall refresh using 0.11u? Low-k is not possible on 0.11u afaik and doesn't the current R420 need low-k to reach those high clockspeeds? So I think it's not a refresh, eventhough the name seems to indicate that it's a high-end chip.

Hmmm isn't AMD using Low-k for 0.09? I might be confused and of course AMD doesn't have any 0.09u products on the market yet (and who knows when they will either).

Cryect said:
Hmmm isn't AMD using Low-k for 0.09? I might be confused and of course AMD doesn't have any 0.09u products on the market yet (and who knows when they will either).

Low-k is possible on 0.13 and 0.09, but not on 0.11 since it is 'just' a die-shrink... a means to cut the cost by getting more dies of one waver.

Look at X300. It is basically a smaller version RV350. It uses 0.11u and no low-k.

Yeah same here. The picture I had in my mind was:

R480 -> Refresh of R420: 0,13u, speedbump, some minor tweaks (made by Silicon Valley team)
R520 -> SM3.0 part based on R3x0/R4x0 tech, 0.09u (made by Silicon Valley team)

R500 -> SM3.0+ part for X-Box2, formerly known as R400 (made by Marlborough team)
R600 -> SM3.0+ part based on R500 but now for desktop (made by Marlborough team)

Back