ATI and NVIDIA Desktop GPU (Road maps)

Well, can't read Japanese but what you can figure out is that boxes with a red outline are native AGP, Blue is native PCIe, green is native AGP bridged to PCIe and pink is native PCIe bridged to AGP [Edit - Duh. Would help if I scrolled down an looked at the key!!]. Nothing much there too surprising, only a reiteration that NV48 will actually be native AGP, as Anand has already mentioned. ATI have also stated that they won't do SM3.0 in calender 2004 so R480 (as expected, really) looks to be a clock bumped R420. They have also missed a "V" out.

DaveBaumann said:
Well, can't read Japanese

I can atleast figure out the number 8, in the box connected to the NV43 and the R(v)410 so it seems like this is 8 pipeline parts. The interesting question is if they have 128bit or 256bit memery interface, my guess is 256 but with both 128 and 256bit cards.

Also the NV44 seems to be 4 pipeline part.

Hyp-X said:
Well if R500 is really 90nm 05 spring, then I'd except R(V)410 to be 90nm as well.
According to the label, the R410 is to be a middle-range part (no, I don't read much Japanese, but it said, "middle range" phoenetically in the box), so it doesn't count as an "RV" part. It also says "8 pixel pipe" for these, with "4 pixel pipe" for the "value range" NV44 and RV370.

Megadrive1988 said:
I'd expect R500 around the summer or early fall and NV50 late fall or early winter late 2005
that's what I was expecting too ....... although I wouldn't be surprized if NVIDIA accelerated their schedule after seeing all those "r500 is coming significantly earlier than expected" rumors ;)

Chalnoth said:
According to the label, the R410 is to be a middle-range part, so it doesn't count as an "RV" part.
The R9600 Pro/XT (RV350/360) weren't middle-range? Nor the R7500 (RV200)?

Looking at that roadmap, what happened to NV41? It looks to me like this Hiroshige Goto chap just drew them up based on the rumours he'd heard around.

nv48

the section where it describes nv48, it actually says nv48 has twice the efficiency of nv40.
although it sounds more like a rumour but at least it's a good sign for nv48 i would say.

"Twice the efficiency" (not twice the speed) seems like they are making some updates to the bandwidth routines. One place that NV40 seems to trail on quite significantly is their ZCull system doesn't appear to be anywhere near as efficient as the HierZ on R420 and I guess that this would be one area that they may be attempting to address.

OH, and if anyone is interested in laptop graphics, they may wish to translate that Japanese text.

so it seems that NV48 is the 'NV45' that most people would expect from a refresh, since the actual NV45 is nothing more than a PCI-E NV40, correct?

DaveBaumann said:
"Twice the efficiency" (not twice the speed) seems like they are making some updates to the bandwidth routines.
Could be that, or it could be related to shader throughput.

The mobile GPUs roadmap is up:
1088402409.jpg

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2004/0628/kaigai098.htm

Back