ATI acquires Bitboys

xmu

Regular
Nice!

Markham, Ontario - May 2, 2006-ATI Technologies Inc. (TSX:ATY, NASDAQ:ATYT) has acquired privately held Bitboys Oy, a 15-year veteran of the graphics industry for up to €35.2 million (about US$44 million). The final value is subject to certain performance-related conditions. Bitboys brings valuable engineering experience, technology and customer relationships that enhance ATI's existing mobile phone multimedia offerings. Based in Finland, the Bitboys team will be fully integrated in to ATI's Handheld Business Unit, and form the nucleus for a key design centre for ATI in Europe.

Full press release here: http://www.bitboys.fi/ati_bb_eng.php

Woah didn't see this coming. I like it though. So now Nvidia has hybrid graphics and ATI has Bitboys Oy!:D

#Beyond3D regulars:
- As said, I was expecting something BIG to happen before E3 or during the show, but This was close to cause a heart attack.

...too bad though that 'boys didn't got a chance to clean up their public image. (though price reveals that their image was ok in the marketplace.)

epicstruggle said:
At the very least ati got a great hype machine out of the deal. :devilish:
Lawl. :)

I can't say I didn't see this happening. It can't have been easy for them to compete against the big heavyweights. Glad to see them bought by ATi tho, hope the canucks make good use of this resource. (And no, I'm not referring to the hype machine! ;))

tEd said:
How many people work at bitboys?
43 is the latest number I have heard...

NocturnDragon said:
Very nice indeed!

P.S. I haven't been earing from J. Paananen in a long time, is he still working there?

J. Paananen alias JPaana here, has not been working at Bitboys afaik, but at the Ionific, that is their partner. (and has been quite long time.)

and yes, he is still working for Bitboys, maybe the closest guy to the company here.

afaik: he is the guy behind Axe's Dx8 eDRAM rasterizer engine. (I might be wrong here though...)

Last edited:
Nappe1 said:
#Beyond3D regulars:
- As said, I was expecting something BIG to happen before E3 or during the show, but This was close to cause a heart attack.

...too bad though that 'boys didn't got a chance to clean up their public image. (though price reveals that their image was ok in the marketplace.)

"I want to buy you, and not after you're bankrupt at the firesale" is about as genuine a compliment as can be paid in the business world to a company.

Nappe1 said:
J. Paananen alias JPaana here, has not been working at Bitboys afaik, but at the Ionific, that is their partner. (and has been quite long time.)

and yes, he is still working for Bitboys, maybe the closest guy to the company here.

Correct, haven't really advertised that as I'm writing as private person here, as usual.

Nappe1 said:
afaik: he is the guy behind Axe's Dx8 eDRAM rasterizer engine. (I might be wrong here though...)

Something like that, among other things :)

While ATi will assumedly support Bitboys's current, OpenVG products, will they follow through with any remaining customers for Bitboys's OpenGL ES 1 and 2 technologies?

For this generation of 3D, perhaps ATi could offer Qualcomm the choice of G34 IP in addition to their current Imageon technology for SoCs, but will they offer G40, for the next generation, as an intermediate step before their Xenos-like design?

As ATi is very established already, they're probably most interested in the extra engineering resources that they gain by acquiring a competitor.

Nice addition to ATI's portfolio.
It will give ATI direct access to the lucrative Scandinavian market.

I'm kidding.. I love Bitboys!

Well I must say it is about time..

Bitboys has some impressive technology under their belt. I am actually surprised that somebody hasn't released something based upon the tech. already, or this. But something was bound to happen. They've got some very bright guys over there that are good at thinking outside of the box.

Dave Barron
Ex- Beyond3d
Ex- 3dfx
Ex- Bitboys

I've got to wonder now if both companies Nokia rumors have in fact been the same rumor for some time. Maybe Nokia brokered this thing, by saying "We like BitBoys tech, but we've got to have a partner with the financial/market/infrastructure heft to give us the warm 'n fuzzies we need."

Something tells me ATI paid $44.3 million for OpenVG and the engineering talent is just bonus. They have a very competent OGL|ES 1.x solution in Imageon and are certainly capable of leveraging their desktop GPU tech for OGL|ES 2.x. In my mind that leaves OpenVG as the only logical reason to acquire Bitboys.

Time will tell.

I doubt there's anything that complicated in OpenVG that ATI's engineers couldn't pull it off. The most simple explanation is that ATI needs the experienced engineers to add to their portofolio and address more aggressively the PDA/mobile market.

Now this was quite a surprise... Lets hope to see some of their innovation come to the consumer market. :cool:

Back