ATI 7500 or 9000 for Office computer.

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by virtualsniper, Oct 8, 2003.

1. virtualsniper

Newcomer

I am building a computer for my father, so he can go on the internet, make his tax report and check emails. No games will be played here. So far this is what I got:

Asus A7n8x
    Barton Xp2500+
    40gig western

Now I don't know if I must put a radeon 9000 or a 7500. I want the computer to be good in office applications for at least the next 4 years. They are about the same price. Any suggestion?

What about the memory of the card? Is 64 megs enough or I should go with a 9000 pro with 128?

Last question, on the a7n8x, is it worth it to put dual channel ram? Or a single cl3 512 megs will be enough?

Thank you for your feedbacks!!

2. Freak'n Big Panda

Regular

a 7500 will be more than enough for your dad if he plays no games. A 2500+ is also total overkill, I mean a PIII is probly fine for basic stuff. You could save a few bucks by going with a AXP1700+ instead. And Dual channel is totaly pointless. My system for your dad (Or anybody doing only office stuff, word, excel, powerpoint, email) would look like this:

ECS K7S5A with integrated sound and LAN.
    AXP1700+
    256megs PC2100
    40gig Maxtor

even this is overkill IMO, I would probly look for a used P3 (700-900Mhz range) before I built this.

3. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Go with a newer card. I use the 64mb 9000 Pro on this work machine and it works great for Office, Internet and AutoCAD. I suspect that since you only mention the 9000 that you're buying the OEM version right? If he's going to be using it for the next 4 years I would suggest a retail product that comes with a warranty. The newer 9100 and 9200 are currently on retail shelves as well. However, they're probably not going to give him anything more for his type of applications. With that said I suspect 64MB should be plenty of RAM.

I hope this helps.

Tommy McClain

4. virtualsniper

Newcomer

I know it is a little overkill, but I want to buy him a new comp and the xp2500+ will cost him around 500$ to build, so I think it is better than paying 200-300 to find an old P3. And their is like 25$ between the xp1700 and the barton xp2500.

As for the card, yeah, i forgot about the 9200, I will check the price on that.

5. RussSchultz

RussSchultz Professional Malcontent
    Veteran

Get the newest card you can. Its 100% more likely to be supported for longer than the older card.

6. FoxDie

Newcomer

:roll:How about 9200 or FX5200?

7. RussSchultz

RussSchultz Professional Malcontent
    Veteran

Were those in his choices? I thought the question was between the 7500 or 9000.

8. Gnep

Newcomer

Might be worth considering an ECS K7SOM+ which has integrated SiS graphics and (more strangely) an integrated Duron 1200 (which they call an "Athlon Pro 1800+"!!!).

V. V. cheap (£60 in the UK if you shop around a bit). Then just add a quieter cooler (the Coolermaster "CP5-8JD1F-0L Upto XP3200+ Silent" is cheap (~£6) and fits on the integrated Duron (no socket A here).

All you need then is a cheap case, a very quiet PSU with decent airflow(worth spending on e.g. the Seasonic Super Tornado 300W for ~£40 - then you don't need ANY other fans apart from the Coolermaster jobbie above), and a CD-ROM drive (you might have an old one. Oh, and a HDD and some mem of course (256meg of even SDR Ram should be fine). All in a complete and QUIET base system for about 150 quid. Then you can buy lots of beer with the change. For doing tax returns, email and web stuff he won't notice the difference between that and something faster. Except that this one is near-silent - THAT is what he would notice otherwise.

9. virtualsniper

Newcomer

Thx for the info guys. I have ordered a nf2 with integrated gf3mx. That should do it, and I could always add a card later. I went also with single 512 megs ram, as it doesn't make a big difference anyway.

and It doesn't even cost me 400$, which is a nice thing! :eek:)

10. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Hopefully that IGP will have decent signal quality. If not, I'd probably recommend an FX 5200 over a 9000 for 2D use, simply because the 5200 should meet Longhorn's minimum 3D requirements. I also would have suggested pairing the 5200 with something cheap like the Soltek single-channel nF2 MB Anandtech reviewed recently.