Asus Transformer $400 Tegra2 10.1 , 1GB ,16GB

eastmen

Legend
Supporter
http://tablets-planet.com/2011/03/31/asus-eee-pad-transformer-priced-at-399-99-for-the-us-yes-it-is/

Best buy has tehse guys for $400 seems pretty damn good for whats in it. I'm very very impressed right now

ASUS-Eee-Pad-Transformer-full-specs.jpg

yup just trying to find out if it has a sd slot as that would make it perfect.

For those on facebook they are doing a drawing for an assus transformer and have 10 to give away

Price is coming down on a lot of tablets since the ipad 2 was announced.

There's a viewsonic android2.2/tegra2 tablet you can pick up for $340.

The dock (I'm guessing not included in the price quoted above) has a standard SD slot. In the UK they're £430/380 with and without the dock respectively.

yea i doubt the dock is included.

This could be a good one for my mother at that price its good and the interface should be close to her phone. She only checks email and plays games anyway

IMHO this is still way too overpriced.
Given that we can get netbooks under 250€, I don't see why tablets would cost so much more.

I'm expecting the Archos Gen9 tablets to be even more agressively priced, and with better performance too.

This Asus gains points with the included HDMI port, but loses some for the lack of USB.

Given that we can get netbooks under 250€, I don't see why tablets would cost so much more.
There are several reasons (e.g. both front and rear facing cameras, expectation to have a whole bunch of MEMS sensors, lower volumes for now, some chips only support LPDDR2 which is quite a bit more expensive than DDR2 although Tegra2 supports both, etc.) but BY FAR the biggest one AFAIK is the capacitive touch screen. It's very expensive, and having to secure the volumes for it might not help either. That's also why the Toshiba AC100 netbook is probably the cheapest Tegra 2 device out there.

Over time, the price gap is certainly going to narrow significantly. So if there is any cannibalisation of the netbook market so far, it's only just starting.

IMHO this is still way too overpriced.
You can get tablets for 250€, too. But for both product types you won't get premium quality for that price.

You can get tablets for 250€, too. But for both product types you won't get premium quality for that price.

But ~250€ tablets won't come anywhere near the performance, functionality or even battery life of a dirt-cheap €220 Atom netbook.

But ~250€ tablets won't come anywhere near the performance, functionality or even battery life of a dirt-cheap €220 Atom netbook.

The diffrence is that the tablets run around in their little walled garden so it seems lik ethe device is offering alot of performance. That Atom netbook is out in the jungle and it seems like its offering horrible performance.

I had a 1.6ghz atom with ion and 3GB of ram and an 11inch screen that my gf is now using. Its just a horrible experiance . Often times i can beat her to websites and the info we need on my cell phone vs that netbook.

Yep, consumer expectations and use cases for tablets and netbooks are very different. I would never buy a netbook cause I think it's a useless wannabe computer. I may buy a tablet cause I view them as more functional smartphones/readers.

Back