Asus goes to ATI?

Digitimes had post English report:

"Asustek Computer, a key customer for Nvidia’s graphics chipsets in Asia, expects to launch own-brand graphics cards featuring ATI solutions by the end of this quarter. The two sides expect to officially announce the news in late September, according to sources.

Both Asustek and ATI denied the report. According to ATI, Asustek is producing some graphics cards featuring ATI solutions on request of its OEM clients, and is developing motherboards based on ATI’s 9100IGP chipset, but the two sides have not worked together in the own-brand graphics card market.

It is still unclear whether Asustek would continue working with Nvidia in its own-brand graphics card business in the future, sources said."

actually, I asked this at Assembly from Asus Taiwan representatives and the answer on desktop graphics was absolutely "No." They felt that being nVidia's biggest customer they do not have any needs expanding on ATi GPUs.

Nappe1 said:
They felt that being nVidia's biggest customer they do not have any needs expanding on ATi GPUs.

I'm not doubting what they told you, but being the biggest customer of a chip vendor who's chips are losing popularity (falling demand), is exactly a reason to expand with someone else's GPU.

Like I have said b4 I hope asus does start producing ATI graphics based cards for desktops, and at the same time manages to continue producing Nvidia cards, this will eventually lower prices, and/or, provide consumers with a wider choice of who they want to buy the card from.

Joe DeFuria said:
Nappe1 said:
They felt that being nVidia's biggest customer they do not have any needs expanding on ATi GPUs.

I'm not doubting what they told you, but being the biggest customer of a chip vendor who's chips are losing popularity (falling demand), is exactly a reason to expand with someone else's GPU.

This is the exactly reason I asked it. He explained that at least now there's not very significant difference on their graphics card sales and they do not have any problems with nvidia. as off the record he admitted that nvidia really doesn't like the idea seeing competitors GPUs on Asus cards and Asus doesn't really want to mess up good relations with nVidia.

as for the question, if we see more players in GPU market could they think of making products based on these chips, He said very weak maybe... (it was more like saying I don't think it's happening, but everything can happen in long run.)

Look what ATI say in this interview:

With regard to market share, NPD figures saywe have 97% of the $300 and up market.

If that is really the case then that is one hell of a big carrot for the AIB's. The high end boards are also where the AIB's are making their biggest margins and if they are loosing out a lot in retail sales (which they muct be if these figures are correct) then I'd say thats a huge reason for them to want to switch.

deflate said:
With regard to market share, NPD figures saywe have 97% of the $300 and up market.

If that is really the case then that is one hell of a big carrot for the AIB's. The high end boards are also where the AIB's are making their biggest margins and if they are loosing out a lot in retail sales (which they muct be if these figures are correct) then I'd say thats a huge reason for them to want to switch.

Considering the problems nVidia's had in the last year relating to yields, performance, IQ, and general veracity, I'm not really suprised by such numbers. AIB oems who make $300 + retail 3d products are certainly aware of the situation and understand clearly it will do them no good to be "nVidia's best customer" if customers for their products are choosing ATi-based products 97 times out of a hundred. For them to amass stockpiles of $300+ nVidia-based products that don't sell might make nVidia happy, but it is unlikely to please the AIB oems at all. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see ATi deals with such AIB oems going forward for the retail markets.

deflate said:
Look what ATI say in this interview:

Wow! Thank you for that link & quote, I'd missed it entirely.

VERY interesting, but it makes sense. :)

Back