Assigning modem to IRQ's 5-8, NT, 98, 95.

JavaJones

Newcomer
I need to setup a modem on COM ports 5-8 in Windows NT 4, Windows 98, and Windows 95 for testing purposes (Win2000 was easy, that's already done with). The modem I currently have is external, so I presume I'll have to map the actual (physical) COM port and address to the port # I want, but will this require anything on the modem's part to recognize it? It's an old Hayes 14.4. I can get a newer modem if necessary, but would rather not have to.

I have also seen some mention that of internal modems, Winmodems are most likely to use non-standard COM ports. I must be able specifically to test 5-8 if possible, and most modems I know of only support up to perhaps COM 5 or 6, and often only the standard 1-4. So, if I can't get my external to work (some limitation in 98/NT for mapping physical ports perhaps), then I can certainly buy another modem if necessary, I just want to make sure it will be able to do what I need before doing so.

Also, what's the best method for mapping the ports in NT4, considering I have a serial mouse on COM 1? Every time I change the COM port's address in the BIOS, NT redetects it and assigns it the standard port # for that address. I can manually setup another COM port at 5-8 and map it to the same address, but it hasn't seemed to work, and if I remove the "normal" COM port assigned to the address NT just redetects it.

I haven't tested the rest of the OS's, but I anticipate potential problems with Win95 and possibly 98, particularly 95. Anything I should know here?

Anyways, any info anyone could offer on any of this would be greatly appreciated.

- JavaJones

Back