Assassins Creed DX10.1

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Sound_Card, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Sound_Card

Regular

#1 Sound_Card, Apr 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2008
  2. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

darn forum maintance.

Anyway what i was able to read , its really impressive . However this is Amd / ati . They wont go out and reocompile dev's games to take advantage of it. That in turns leaves this speed increase off the table for the majority of titles people want to play untill nvidia comes out with dx10.1 and then devs target it .

If amd/ati was smart they would have a small team going from developer to developer and getting these games to take advantage of it. On the top of the list would be crysis , unreal 3 , gears of war , age of conan , and any other big games out now or soon to be out. However having only creed support it is not going to do much.

From what i read there dx10.1 would put the cards on par or surpasing their nvidia counter parts with fsaa on and more improtantly it would pave the way for the rv770

3. Demirug

Veteran

This is very unlikely. To use Direct3D 10.1 you need to build with the latest SDK. Which was released a few weeks ago. At this point of time AC should be already mastered.

The reasons for the performance improvement with SP1 may be the two graphics related hotfixes that are part of SP1. Theses hotfixes were never distributed by windows update and therefore most Vista systems never have seen them.

4. Davros

Legend

they did but he left :D

5. AlexV

AlexV Heteroscedasticitate
    Moderator Veteran

Those were installed. This is not the case. If you're talking about other hotfixes beyond those listed here:http://forums.legitreviews.com/about11457.html, which were recommended by both IHVs for multi-GPUs long prior to SP1's release, please share:)

Also, why would there be a discrepancy in AA quality from either of those. When did those hotfixes affect performance in a significant way(except possibly for 32-bit systems-the tests were done on Vista X64).

Why did the improvements not map out to the 2900XT?And, finally, and most interestingly, why would ATi confirm it if it were not the case?This is not something they'd do if they didn't know what they were talking about;)

6. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Great find! I have to say that the quality improvement is quite amazing. And coupled with a significant speed up... what can I say, HD3000 owners must be pretty happy :smile:

This certainly bodes well for future titles using DX10.1 and actually makes a very strong case for its usefulness over DX10.

Two rather large flies in the ointment though...

• Looking at some other benchmarks (which are limited atm) it seems ATI takes a huge hit in DX10 over DX9 compared to NV. Not sure if those tests were done with SP1 or not but even if not I doubt this improvement would be enough to overcome that performance drop.
    • No AF in DX10 mode??? Crysis also suffers from this problem and IMO is a HUGE one. The lack of AF easily counters any AA improvements that DX10 would bring IMO and i'm not sure that DX10 brings anything else graphically to the table in this game. Hence even with the DX10.1 enhacenements, combined with the point above it seems like the HD3000 series along with all other GPU's are better off running this game in DX9 mode :sad:

7. IbaneZ

Regular

Oh really? So you actually believe everything these companies tell you? Ok, I know AMD is the first choice here at B3D, but come on... ;)

I'll go with the game devs on this one. SP1 works better with dual setups. Simple.

8. AlexV

Moderator Veteran

How much are you willing to bet on that?Not to mention that there is no statement from the devs on this.

As a sidenote, there is a difference between what companies say as hush hush things behind the scenes and what they state officially, especially when it also includes speaking about a relationship with a business partner. Do you think ATi would lie about work they did with UBi?If your assertion is right, replicating this with other, SM4.0 only cards should be trivial, since SP1 works so much better for multi cards...why has this never occured before?

9. AlexV

Moderator Veteran

The AF support will is fixed in more recent driver builds(the 8.49s available from Station-drivers includes this fix).

As for the doom&gloom reports WRT DX10 vs DX9, I haven't been able to replicate that behavior. If anything, 10/10.1 performs better in my experience. That being said, it's an aspect that will be looked into as soon as ATi get official CF profiles in the driver.

10. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Sounds good if thats the case :smile: I look forward to seeing some more extensive AC testing!

11. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

It was possible to develop prior to the SDK release. We, of course, had a DX10.1 application developed and running months ago.

12. Humus

Humus Crazy coder
    Veteran

Yup. You could develop DX10.1 apps on the November 2007 SDK.

13. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

So. is Assassin's Creed actually the first game to make use of DX10.1 or is this (positive!) 'behaviour' caused by a driver hack?

14. AlexV

Moderator Veteran

What would make you think that?Both quality and performance are improved-that's some hack. OTOH, why would the same hack not apply to the 2900XT?Would ATi risk having it's behind on the line by stating they worked with the dev to implement 10.1 support, when they're actually using a hack?This would be solid gold for their competition, not to mention that it could annoy UBi and sour their relationship.

15. Rys

Rys AMD RTG
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

It's not a hack. Go poke the binary and resources. Worth a news item methinks, nice work Alex.

16. Demirug

Veteran

I know this. But you need to compile with the latest SDK to get it working with the final release of SP1. There was a final change for the SDK version that the runtime expected.

17. Kombatant

Regular

Excellent work Alex :)

18. Andrew Lauritzen

Moderator Veteran

If someone with a 3xxx wants to run it through PIX it would probably be pretty obvious whether or not they're playing games with multi-sampled depth buffers or similar. Comparing that run to a run through a 2xxx series card would probably nicely reveal the rendering path differences.

In any case, if this truly is a D3D10.1 thing - which I'm inclined to believe - that's quite a substantial difference in both performance and quality, and I'm very impressed! I'm certainly interested in knowing particularly why the AA looks better in the 10.1 path... is that a deferred shading thing? An HDR thing (if so, why not also done on D3D10) a la. Humus' demo? Otherwise?

19. tabs

Veteran

Didn't the HDR correct AA in Humus' demo have quite a performance hit compared to regular AA?

20. Sound_Card

Regular

no. Some case was faster.