Ashli Maya7.0 plug-in

Pazu

Newcomer
Hi everyone, I am new here.

I wish to ask about the above compatibility to DirectX9 HLSL. It seems to have only partial compatibility to HLSL and though some of my code (.fx) compiles fine and renders properly with FX composer, they do not work when loaded into Ashli in Maya.

On that matter does anyone knows if there is any plug-in for Maya that supports full DirectX9 HLSL specification?

Thank you.

The primary limitation with the Maya/Ashli plugin is that it cannot handle anything behind PS2.0 presently. There are additional issues with type safety where it will fail to compile. These latter isues are nearly impossible to resolve, because the HLSL compiler is sometimes inconsistent with itself in these scenarios.

If you post shader snips, I can offer soem help as to what might be going wrong and how to fix it.

-Evan

Thanks for the reply. I know what is wrong with the code and I just find it strange because FX compiler compiles it just nicely.

At least I can now be sure that it is not actually 100% compliant.:cry: Which makes it kinda useless for game development work except for very minor test runs..:cry:

OK, well please let me know of any issues that you find particularly difficult. I hope there to be a version 1.5 or 2 that solves some of these problems, and it would be best to know exactly what issues people have seen.

FWIW, 100% HLSL compatibility is essentially impossible. The key issue is that any given release of the HLSL compiler has some peculiarities in the way it operates, and as a result some HLSL shaders will see different results with different compilers. Which of the several compilers released in the last year and a half should it be bug for bug compatible with? In the best case, it would be no more idiosyncratic than different releases of the HLSL compiler. That is what I would ideally like to see.

-Evan

Yes you are right.;) But I wish that its at least compatible in syntax... Having to have a perfectly working shader in Maya but useless when plugged into a game is quite pointless.

Thanks! Would try to put in more findings when I can.

Back