As Roadrunner Breaks Petaflop Barrier, Heterogeneous Computing in the Spotlight

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by B3D News, Jun 11, 2008.

1. B3D News

B3D News Beyond3D News
    Regular

This week, the world of computing officially entered the petaflop era with the announcement that the Los Alamos National Laboratory's 'Roadrunner' had become the first supercomputer in history to cross the psychologically significant threshold of a thousand-trillion calculations per second...

Read the full news item

2. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

Yay for heterogenous computing! Anyone remember Intel's "Project Z" being discussed back in the Northwood P4C days?

3. Carl B

Carl B Friends call me xbd
    Moderator Legend

Things seem to arise and disappear all the time in terms of Intel's internal projects. I do remember the Project Z rumors, as I used to pay close attention to all the ex-Alpha movements, but... who knows. According to previous roadmaps of Intel's they should in theory have their own heterogeneous efforts in mind going into the next decade, but who knows the extent to which that is still at play. I suppose that Larrabee grafted onto some more mainstream chip would still qualify, but as it'd be fully ISA compatible, I don't know... I have trouble calling it truly heterogeneous.

It'll be fun to see the Top500 list a couple of years from now though. Specifically, it'll be interesting to see what Intel's efforts are in the supercomputing space, and whether any supercomputers start being built from clustered GPGPU workstations - though it seems a lot more complex from a system/network perspective to harness that computational power at the scale of a supercomputing center than at the desktop level. But there will no doubt be something.

And as a fan of it, I hope that a couple of more Cell-based systems make it onto the list as well. With the QS22 essentially the heart of it, should be easy enough for institutions to mirror the Los Alamos system, with a lot of the library/framework problems already solved and provided in IBMs tools.

4. Carl B

Carl B Friends call me xbd
    Moderator Legend

Article on Roadrunner's first set of tasked simulations over on the Los Alamos website:

http://www.lanl.gov/news/index.php/fuseaction/home.story/story_id/13602

I like the novel tasks/research they are assigning to the system before it goes all-nuclear.

5. Sxotty

Veteran