Armed Assault (From the Operation Flashpoint devs) EU release date set for Feb 15

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Farid, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Farid

Farid Artist formely known as Vysez
    Veteran Subscriber

I know that it was already released in some Czech Republic, Poland and Germany already, but it's soon to be available for the whole Euroland, which is definitely good news.

Anyway, if you never played Operation Flashpoint, and if you're looking for a realistic (as in unforgiving) tactical millitary shooter, you should urgently try the demos

Screenshots:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I installed the demo, but I didn't give the game a lot of play time so far, I barely tried it just to see how it runs on my machine, therefore I can't give any in depth impressions on the gameplay, other than it looks like a true sequel to Operation Flashpoint . On the technical side, it runs okay on the old piece of machinery that I call my PC, with low/middle settings, so it doesn't appears to be taxing a lot of ressources per see. I noted that the demo had a ton of LOD issues going on, though. Nothing deal breaker, but it could be distracting at times, especially when building parts start appearing sequentially a few meters away front you, if not directly in front of you. It seems that the LOD is based on the view frustum only, and is not position based at all, meaning that if you turn quickly (or even slowly) around, you'll have pop-ups going on. Anyway, this issue might be fixed already, or exists just for older PCs (Note that I tried the game with max settings, it was a slide show, and it did have the same issue).

2. Jawed

Legend

I love the demo and I'm eagerly awaiting the full game.

If you're going to try the demo, make sure to install the 5116 patch which is available on that page. This will massively improve graphics performance :shock:

You can either play against other players by joining an online server, or create your own server to play in. Don't bother trying to start up your own Capture the Island server as it's just too slow.

Coop is the best game type for the creation of your own server. You may want to lock the server when you create it, to stop random internet peeps just turning up and ruining your carefully executed plan. Alternatively, you might leave it unlocked to get all the help you can muster. With it locked, though, you've effectively got a single-player mission.

When you play the Coop mission, be aware that on the "Group" page of the briefing notebook you can change each soldier's loadout by clicking on the soldier's name. This way you get to choose from rocket launchers, SAWs, silenced rifles, sniper rifles etc.

If you find the enemy AI too easy :twisted: , just put the game in Veteran mode when you create the server :grin:

Jawed

3. Jawed

Legend

For best performance I recommend:
    • no shadows
    • textures set to normal or lower
    those are the two killer settings. Set everything to minimum, make those two settings and then use that as your baseline for determining what tweaks are acceptable thereafter.

To test for acceptable performance just use the binoculars to view through a wooded area - that'll be your worst case performance. I can tolerate about 10fps.

In normal gameplay expect to get about 10-40fps.

Jawed

4. CouldntResist

Regular

Screenshots look nice, but will I be able to drop bombs at spawnpoints?

5. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

Overly complicated and glitchy (dying every time you respawn).

It natively supports WS (many different aspect ratios too) which is good, I suppose.

6. _xxx_

Banned

Yet another military shooter... :cry:

That aside, if the controls are nearly as crappy as in Flashpoint, I'm passing here anyway.

7. Bludd

Veteran

They are, IMO, just as bad. Too many and it wasn't immediately obvious how one could remap the keys either.

8. Jawed

Legend

I'm so glad they didn't dumb-down the control system, while improving it with double-tap support :grin:

Jawed

9. Bludd

Veteran

Hey, Jawed, you were speaking of performance earlier. What kind of GPU do you have? My GF8800GTX didn't really have any problems with everything at very high in 1920x1200, but I didn't really play that long and I didn't play any multiplayer because all the servers had 0 players. :(

10. Jawed

Legend

X800XT.

Jawed

11. karlotta

karlotta pifft
    Veteran

Performance is hardest on the foliage maps. In the retail game ,Training, Ambush map, Full settings 16/12, 9fps-20fps 1950xtx. CF1950xtx double. On the other maps (areas) 70fps 100+ CF. The game is a pig. Though IQ isnt hurt all that much with mid settings, and you cant use the CCC/CP AA in the game.Only ingame AA works. Its a awesome game, and yeah the controls at first are "wtf" but you only need a few, not much more than the regular WASD extended for MP or COOP, but SP is a different game all together on AI movement and control. This isnt BF2.
    PS there really isnt any maps, it is a huge fing map, :http://www.armaholic.com/pfs.php?m=view&v=3-sahrani_map_physical.jpg