Armed Assault - animation video

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Dwarden, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Dwarden

Newcomer

2. Jawed

Legend

I am really looking forward to this game :smile:

Jawed

3. poopypoo

Veteran

Looks sweet! ...except for that awful crawling anim, of course, but I presume they'll fix that! Sharp! :yep2:

4. Dwarden

Newcomer

5. Jawed

Legend

My favourite sandbox

[​IMG]

Apart from anything else I like just mucking about with stuff. Taking a KA-50 up against all that armour (and a handful of A10s who'll shoot you down if they get the line of sight) is really tricky.

Sadly it seems you need about a 10GHz CPU to cope with this much stuff all going at the same time, argh.

Jawed

6. L233

Veteran

This thread has motivated me to install OFP again... oh man, I completely forgot what a frustrating and buggy piece of shit that game is, even after all the patches. For every awesome moment it gives you, it makes you suffer. It's been a long time since a game had me cursing over outrageously stupid controls. Trying to command a tank is about as much fun as being repeatedly punched in the balls by a spastic clown. 2 out of 3 times I have to restart missions because scripted events don't trigger properly. Some NPCs get stuck with whatever they are doing and refuse to get on trucks or refuse to move on etc.

I hope they simply rip off BF2's control scheme for ArmA, maybe with some added complexity for vehicle targeting and such (BF2's point-and-shoot tank guns are so WW2...). I'll carefully read the reviews. If there's even a hint of major bugs or bad controls, I'll pass that one.

7. Miksu

Regular

Yeah well, OFP has a horrible controlling system but it still is a wonderful game. We still play it with couple of my friends in co-op.

Armed Assault is number 2 in my Most Wanted -list, just after NWN2

8. deviantchild

Regular

What's the problem?
    I think the controls are ok, considering you're in charge of a 3-man crew.
    There are several way of doing it:-
    As a commander, WASD [eight directional voice] commands to the driver are only used in desperation - to gtfooh
    Left-click tells driver to head somewhere, right-click tells gunner to target something. The confusing bit is having to right-click to untarget so that the crosshair can return to giving driver commands.
    Ctrl fires (which I suppose breaks the general standard) and Space tells the gunner to change weapons.
    You can also issue commands using F1, then a number sequence; Backspace to go back up a menu level.
    As a driver or gunner, the game reverts to a straight forward fps affair that ppl are more used to.
    I always play fp in a tank as it is more authentic; using the middle mouse button to turn in/out of the tank.
    Basically I have my left hand spanning Ctrl and Space, only moving up to F1 and the top row number keys to issue other commands; right hand on mouse does most of the controlling.

#8 deviantchild, Sep 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2006
  9. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

i recently ordered the new release of this? anyone else?

10. Dresden

Dresden Celebrating Mediocrity
    Veteran

I was looking forward to this a lot.....until I played the demo. It was on my machine for eleven minutes before I uninstalled it. Gameplay was dull and the graphics were circa 1997.

11. karlotta

karlotta pifft
    Veteran

been playing some, since it came out in German, used a language patch, but that was fixed with the UK release, so all langs, pick yours in the menu. With USA/NA version out now and the unifying patch soon. This game should take off. I like it, its much better in the full version than the demo, and the gfx are not 1997,,pifft, its NOT UT4 shinny crap.But COOP game play is great. Not a BF2 clone much better than OGR, and has real COOP which GRAW pc doesnt have. 8 out of 10 do to coop play.

12. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

noob question:

How do i disembark my squad from the stryker? (the very first squad training mission)

Im only able to get out myself.

(i haven't played OFP either, this is my first combat sim type game)

Oh, and im downloading the 1.05 patch at this moment, is it a good idea to patch?

i have another question, if i set the friendly settings all the way up, and the enemy setting all the way down, will it be close to an arcade shooter? (like half life on easy or something)

edit: i managed to figure out the disembark thing. i didn't realize typing '4' instead of clicking '4' (mount) gives you a drop down list which includes 'disembark'. ran it to that problem again trying to target the car. now i have it sorted i think. if i could just fly a freaking heli i can finish training. i didn't find it in the directions/manuals just had to goof around with it.

#12 Cartoon Corpse, May 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2007
  13. karlotta

karlotta pifft
    Veteran

patch up to the 107beta, there are two 1.07betas and you need to patch them both. Better performance ect. Yeah i cant fly, i gave up on the whole flying stuff, on line there are enough flyers to get around the huge map. A cool thang this is;
    http://stats.swec.se/server/list.
    i like to play here;http://stats.swec.se/server/data/28503 , TS required.

14. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

when did the 1.07 beta come out? all i found (yesterday) was 1.05. i got that (VERY slowly).

lol. at the beginning of the Stryker training (3rd try), i decided to play as the mayor of crazytown and went around back of some buildings and found a BIG truck. i jumped in and came back to the stryker (this was after the teacher had said his shpeel and i had loaded my squad into it) and i ran over him (to see if i could). then i got out (didn't realize the default 'get out' key isn't mapped!)...and went back to the stryker...and there he was...laying in the dirt all bloody struggling and gasping and whatnot, i jumped in the stryker and rode into the sunset. that'll teach him not to tell me how to disembark!

15. SugarCoat

Veteran

im having fun in the campaign myself. playing on veteran kinda sucks as by default you only get one save, but its definitely a fun game. Large scale battles and basically being able to do whatever you like is fantastic. For example the first side mission you're offered as a spec ops soldier to destroy some armor (at night mind you, cant see a damn thing and night vision is very neat), you can run straight to your targets, or run just north and get some satchels and destroy the armor as stealthily as possible, or you may happen to find the Hind stashed at the secondary camp which you can hijack and use to bombard the enemy camp then fly home. That kinda sandbox play is nothing but pure fun.

Couple problems im having are the building textures not loading correctly on a few missions making the towns look terrible and friendly AI seems to be lacking. I shouldnt be killing 20-30 enemy soldiers myself and still losing when im part of a squad of 10 or more men. Obviously they arent doing their job. The audio communications are totally lacking ripped straight from OpFlashpoint, all your teammates radio communications sound very robotic and without feeling, also the enemy communicates in exactly the same way with the exact same South Eastern American accent which is a complete oversite on the part of the devs in my opinion.

#15 SugarCoat, May 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2007