Argh! Pioneer exits the PDP market

Ty

Roberta E. Lee
Veteran
http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/plasma-tv-is-dead

As we predicted several years ago, plasma technology is on its way out. Putting one of the nails in the lengthy coffin is Pioneer Corp, who is stopping ALL production of plasma display panels. Last week we reported that they had decided to stop all 42-inch panel production, however that has now been expanded to its entire plasma line. This comes via an industry source briefed on the plan and quoted by Reuters in an article released today. Rather than panic, Pioneer shares immediately jumped to a four-month high following the report - up 11.2 percent.

You heard it here first: Plasma TV is dead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess the high-end is all left to LCD/LCOS then.

Well.. for front projectors at least, since Sony's SXRD rear-projection sets have been killed off now too. But wow, this is big news for sure in the display market. The Kuro's were considered by many to be *the* set.

Well.. for front projectors at least, since Sony's SXRD rear-projection sets have been killed off now too. But wow, this is big news for sure in the display market. The Kuro's were considered by many to be *the* set.

They killed off the SXRDs? When did that happen? Both Kuro and SXRD out of the market that pretty much makes Samsung's LED-backlit TVs the winner by default.

so much for those fancy 9th & 10th generation plasmas...

Guess the high-end is all left to LCD/LCOS then.
Nonsense. Pioneer stoping the production of PDP glass is no reason to suspect any other manufacture will do the same any time soon.

Nonsense. Pioneer stoping the production of PDP glass is no reason to suspect any other manufacture will do the same any time soon.

No one else's plasmas are even worth looking at though. When I walk into a retail store that sells HDTVs there is usually a small section of DLPs, and everything else is LCD with a few plasmas mixed in. I can't even recall having seen any non-Pioneer plasmas over the course of the last year. Pioneer *IS* plasma as far as retail is concerned.

No one else's plasmas are even worth looking at though. When I walk into a retail store that sells HDTVs there is usually a small section of DLPs, and everything else is LCD with a few plasmas mixed in. I can't even recall having seen any non-Pioneer plasmas over the course of the last year. Pioneer *IS* plasma as far as retail is concerned.

Well, maybe you're thinking Panasonic... which is much much more prolific in both their plasma offerings and their plasma market share when compared to Pioneer. It's simply that the Kuro's were the best out there that makes it a bitter pill.

PS - Read a story on this now and it's not actually Pioneer exiting the plasma market but rather ceasing in-house panel production; panels will now be sourced from Panasonic. So... significant yes, but very different from a market/end-user perspective.

Yeah, the article linked in the orignal post said as much:

Pioneer is the world's fifth-largest plasma TV manufacturer and has constantly struggled for relevance against the larger Panasonic brand (Matsushita). Now, Pioneer will buy its panels from the competing brand...

The bolded "Plasma TV is dead" is just sensationalist tripe.

Well, maybe you're thinking Panasonic... which is much much more prolific in both their plasma offerings and their plasma market share when compared to Pioneer. It's simply that the Kuro's were the best out there that makes it a bitter pill.

They both start with "P", same thing... :p

Damn sensationalism...

I'm sticking with "Argh" until we know they can offer the same picture with outsourcing. A cautiously optimistic "Argh," I guess.

Pioneer and Matsushita to merge PDP business: http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/...d=5ZXYYHLSJY3VKQSNDLSCKHA?articleID=207402018
Under the agreement, Matsushita will take a lead in developing new PDP panels. Pioneer will share with Matsushita the company's proprietary PDP-related technologies. Under the new structure, Pioneer's PDP R&D team will be transferred to Matsushita.
The partners hope to create by 2010 a large-screen PDP TV whose power consumption will be slashed by two thirds, compared to PDP TVs of 2007, while infinitely increasing contrast and reducing panel thickness to less than an inch.
Good news for plasma fans :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back