Are you f-ing creeped out already or what?! Microsoft's scummy all-seeing eye patent!

Discussion in 'Politics & Ethics of Technology' started by Grall, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

2. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran

If it is true, I don't think you can defeat such a device by a paper bag. It is sure mandatory in such a case that the device needs a clean view, otherwise it would stop the running application until view is clean.

But maybe it is possible to put another monitor in front of kinect/camera displaying a movie tape where you sit there alone for hours...like in those secret agent movies, cheating the surveillance...while watching the movie on xbox with two hundred people...lol, world is even more than crazy!

3. Squilliam

Squilliam Beyond3d isn't defined yet
    Veteran

I can't see this as being any more than patenting something because they could do it just because their motto is 'patent everything and let lawyers sort 'em out'.

4. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Possibly... But if that's the case, then it wouldn't work to show it a "secret agent movie", because the kinect is a depth-sensing camera, and a video screen is flat in 3D space, rather than "people-shaped".

Presumably simply aiming it at a blank wall ought to work though. It must be legal under any circumstance to play a movie with (as far as you know) zero people watching it.

5. dZeus

Newcomer

for good effect it'd be nice to try and generate problems by watching with blow-up dolls on the couch. Then sue them if it refuses to play.

6. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

You know... That's a WONDERFUL suggestion. :lol: DO IT! Fight the power. Stick it to the man!!!! :twisted:

7. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

I once said a Kinect was creepy, I wasn't believed. lol, an old saying was, "In Soviet Russia, radio listens to YOU!"

That said a tier licensing makes a lot of sense, i.e. if you were going to show a movie to about 20 to 80 people a DVD doesn't technically allow you to do it, but that only relies on copyright law.
    An option to spend more for a VoD or downloaded video screening could be a good thing, esp. for an independant movie shown in communities, associations, squats etc. It just has to be a honor system just like the current way is. (Those cassettes tapes for movie rents were more expensive versions with legal allowing of renting, too)

8. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

That is exactly what I was thinking myself when I saw this :)

9. Simon F

Simon F Tea maker
    Moderator Veteran

In the Island of Sodor, where the steam trains lie
  10. Gerry

Regular

I love some of the comments on that link. :)

11. Simon F

Simon F Tea maker
    Moderator Veteran

In the Island of Sodor, where the steam trains lie
    I hadn't read them...until now. I do like
    I might try using that myself :twisted:

12. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

I'm freaked about facebook and now, what if facebook looked at you through kinect webcams :) microsoft should buy it.
    Now if you want to mess with somebody, be a guest in their place and start a colorful then heated discussion about how to make pipe bombs, suicide attacks and the need to strike the government etc. Thereafter, with the kinect determining there are quite a number of dangerous people there, that double-rings a bell somewhere.
    Do it again over the next week-end, and once more, eventually the Xbox dash will switch to "airstrike view" as in the military-themed games that run on it. You can then watch the view, approaching the neighborhood, and hear that drone buzzing faintly then increasingly louder.

13. dZeus

Newcomer

indeed, the troll at 1:14 is very successful at baiting idiots.

Regardless, some impressive art!