Are we gonna get info released on R500 before the R520?

Just from Microsoft's May 12th announcement on MTV about the XBox 2 (360)?

Or are they going to keep as much as they can under wraps?

Karma Police said:
Just from Microsoft's May 12th announcement on MTV about the XBox 2 (360)?

Or are they going to keep as much as they can under wraps?

I kind of doubt they'll release that much technical info until its too late for a speed bump for the ps3. But then again I could be wrong.

I doubt they'll go into specifics, but they'll no doubt give out plenty of pretty meaningless numbers. Like polygon count for example, which for some reason seems to have been the universal measure of power in the console world for a while. :rolleyes:

oddfellow said:
I doubt they'll go into specifics, but they'll no doubt give out plenty of pretty meaningless numbers. Like polygon count for example, which for some reason seems to have been the universal measure of power in the console world for a while. :rolleyes:
Hrm, that's true. And the next X-Box should have a fantastically high polycount, too, with its unified pipelines. I mean, that polycount would be with one-pixel, flat-shaded polygons, stuff nobody would ever bother with today, but whatever. So take the number that MS gives, and divide by 100 to get a reasonable upper bound on polycount throughput.

Well..R500 setup engine can setup one primitive per clock cycle AFAIK so maybe we're not going to read multi-bilion triangles per second numbers from Microsoft ;)
I bet they will quote shading ops per second as major marketing number

oddfellow said:

well it went from the 8bit gen , to the 16 bit gen to the 32 bit gen and then started moving into the polygon gens hehe . its whatever the companys market and spend the most money on .

Back