Are there any PC games that support Dolby Digital?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Fox5, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Fox5

Veteran

Just wondering, I'd have expected Halo too since it did on xbox, but the PC version only supports EAX. I checked on dolby's website, and while they make it evident that it is possible to have Dolby Digital in PC games, the only game I saw listed was Joint Operatons: Typhoon Rising. I even found a press release about how Dolby would help developers get Dolby Digital 5.1 sound working in their PC games. It seems strange, especially with the nForce boards out for quite a while now, that there is only 1 Dolby Digital PC game.

2. Bolloxoid

Newcomer

Dolby digital is not an audio positioning engine nor an API. It is a lossy sound compression format.

Nforce boards (and the Xbox) are simply able to perform real-time Dolby digital encoding on the hardware.

3. Fox5

Veteran

Ok...so what is being used for surround sound then?
    And is there anyway to get surround sound on a PC in games without hooking up 2 or 3 sets of stereo speakers?(I dislike that all the games have EAX which doesn't work with my reciever, so I had to hook up a mismatched pair of stereo speakers so I could get at least 4 channel sound)

4. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

i think ut2003 (and maybe u2) support dolby digital.
    c:

5. tEd

tEd Casual Member
    Veteran

you should be able to get DD on any game which does use 3d sound with a nforce/2 chipset.

No game actually support DD in the sense that the have pre-encoded DD matrial. As already said the nforce is able to encode 3d sounds into one AC3 stream.

The benefit of this is that you can use any receiver/decoder which support DD decoding for games

6. Fox5

Veteran

Well, I don't have a nForce, I have a Creative Audigy 2.

7. tEd

tEd Casual Member
    Veteran

do you have a receiver/decoder which supports analog 5.1 input?

8. Fox5

Veteran

It only supports analog 5.1 if it's Pro Logic 2, and I believe that would just be 5.0 anyhow. I don't know how many seperate signals it can accept over the digital input though, but Creative's support on their website made it seem like only a Creative receiver would have that ability.
    (I have a Kenwood VR-705)
    BTW, I did notice that for some reason, if I leave my settings set to have the sound card handle dolby digital and have my reciever set in pro logic 2, it seems I still get surround sound from dolby digital sources.

9. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

really? I thought there were quite a few games slowly coming out that had the specific DD coding?

Try Need for Speed: Underground, I'm pretty sure that has DD in-game.

10. Fox5

Veteran

Well, the demo doesn't seem to have an option for it, and I didn't see the Dolby logo anywhere in the demo or on EA NFS:U site.

11. tEd

tEd Casual Member
    Veteran

there is no specific DD coding in the games sound world. It's not how it works.

I'm pretty sure there is no PC game today out there that has AC3 as the sound source. Maybe for music or for videos but even that i very much doubt.

But frankly what exactly is the difference between DD encoded matrial and not DD encoded matrial. there 's no difference besides that DD encoded matrial uses the ac3 compression scheme while other non DD sounds may be uncompressed or have other compression schemes like mp3 or ogg. The point is that DD doesn't give you any improved quality to non DD sounds.

12. Bolloxoid

Newcomer

I don't think so. The game would have to have complete 3D positional audio rendering algorithms (normally implemented in the sound card drivers and partially done in hardware) in the game engine itself, and after rendering the audio scene (in software) the game engine would then have to encode the output into a DD stream in real time (in software) while doing everything else (read: major CPU consumption and latency issues). After that the game engine would have to find a way to output the result unaltered via the digital output on the sound card, not something that all sound card drivers support.

Not practical.

13. Bolloxoid

Newcomer

Fox5: You should just take the analog line outputs from your sound card and connect them to the corresponding inputs on you receiver. That's it.

Your receiver does not need any decoding capabilites because the output is not encoded in any way.

14. MuFu

MuFu Chief Spastic Baboon
    Veteran

Well DPLII just takes a 2-channel source and extrapolates multichannel surround w/centre (5.0). That being the case, if your soundcard is outputtting decoded DD 5.1 discretely you're probably losing everything apart from the front two channels. If the source is DD 2.0 you're ok, but you should still stick to using just receiver-based or just soundcard-based decoding and not both.

MuFu.

15. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

ok I guess I was wrong about how it all works. Now that i think about it, your defintely correct that it would need to encode the DD on-the-fly then send the data to the decoder again as a DD source. Whereas a DVD is already encoded with all the data it requires and just feeds the data to the decoder.

So when they say a game supports Dolby Digital, what are they talking about then? I know there have been games that have supported it in the past, I'm sure one of the NFS series has.

16. MuFu

Veteran

There are no PC games that use Dolby technology, let alone DD. Loads of console titles do, but only X-box games can actually output encoded DD. Others have pre-encoded Dolby Surround or DPLII content.

There are THX certified games - sure you're not confusing the two?

MuFu.

17. Ilfirin

Regular

The only PC game I've heard of with DD 5.1 encoding is Doom III, which obviously isn't out yet.

Here's a complete list of what games, on what consoles, use what Dolby tech though:
    http://www.dolby.com/games/players/

18. tEd

tEd Casual Member
    Veteran

ut2003 for instance has a dolby digital logo on it but it doesn't contain any DD encoded sounds. It's really all marketing nothing more. With the nforce/2 chipset you can pretty much output any sound source in DD. So any game could claim 5.1 DD support as long as they support 3d sound and the nforce/2 chipset .

19. MuFu

Veteran

Heh, the wardrobe in my bedroom has a huge Dolby Digital logo on it but it doesn't contain any DD-encoded sounds either.

MuFu.

20. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

Do you have pictures of said wardrobe? I'm tempted to just start slapping Dolby Digital stickers on everything I own.