Apple to back HD-DVD and Blu-Ray?

Arty

KEPLER
Veteran
From the most reliable mac 'insider' site, ThinkSecret
October 17, 2006 - Apple joined the Blu-ray Disc Association in March 2005 but has kept largely mum on its support and adoption of the next-generation disc technology. At the time, Apple's decision to put its weight behind Blu-ray was seen as a coup for Blu-ray and blow to the competing HD-DVD format, but documents recently obtained by Think Secret indicate that Apple may in fact be planning to support both formats equally.
First HP and now Apple. Next one Dell? :oops:

The only hope for quick standardization is BRD. So part of me winces when HD-DVD picks up adherents. Sony will not give up quickly, and Sony controls a snotload of content. Right now tho it's looking like a long twilight struggle, rather than a quick KO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, HP also supports HD-DVD, but their primary focus is still BD.
HP's deal sealers are Managed Copy and iHD, so I'd put them slightly in favor of HD-DVD.

So after HP & Apple, which manufacturer is the primary target for HD-DVD's success?

The only hope for quick standardization is BRD. So part of me winces when HD-DVD picks up adherents. Sony will not give up quickly, and Sony controls a snotload of content. Right now tho it's looking like a long twilight struggle, rather than a quick KO.

Plus BRD is superior with the capacity (although I'm not sure about the reliabilty since it spins so close to the disc I read car players are currently impossible).

They should have negotiated a alliance as was discussed but failed.
________
Live sex

Last edited by a moderator:
Price is important.

If Hewlett Packard puts a HD-DVD recorder in their professional computers and it makes an advantage of price against Dell and Apple is assured that HP is going to sell more units.

I personally would like to see both formats fail, and some unencumbered standard from e.g. China to settle in. It would be a lesson to the industry to not put their own interests so blatantly before the consumer's.

Would be a shame for all the people who already bought the equipment, though... :-/

I personally would like to see both formats fail, and some unencumbered standard from e.g. China to settle in. It would be a lesson to the industry to not put their own interests so blatantly before the consumer's.

That's impossible. For now, a new video format needs the support from the big studios to be successful. These big studios are not going to release anything without DRM. Actually, the last major media format without DRM is VCD. Face it, even DVD has DRM, it's just very broken.

Would be a shame for all the people who already bought the equipment, though... :-/

I agree with this sentiment as well.

If they want DRM fine then they should make a royalty free standard people can use, not some stupid standard so they get a bit of money for every drive and player.

I agree with this sentiment as well.

If they want DRM fine then they should make a royalty free standard people can use, not some stupid standard so they get a bit of money for every drive and player.

DVD isn't royalty free... you are paying to the consortium companies from every DVD marked product. Last royalty free disc was Compact Disc. Again, HD-DVD has been royalty based all from the begining, while BR-Disc is based on same way licesing as CD is/was. When BR really interested being next gen movie media, they introduced BR+ extension including DRM stuff, which again is royalty based.

Back