Apple launches AppleTV and iPhone

Discussion in 'Unix, Mac, & BSD (3D)' started by patsu, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

2. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

Geez..I'm becoming an Apple f@nb0y :???:

3. rabidrabbit

rabidrabbit A Reformed Member
    Legend Veteran

Oh my! That phone's pure sex!
    I want it, actually I know now what my next phone will be, no competition.

4. Zaphod

Zaphod Remember
    Veteran

That phone looks really sweet, but @ an estimated $599 with a 2 year contract, they'll have trouble selling more than a handfull of them in Europe, and I doubt very much they'll be able to reach the most prominent 'media consumer' markets.

5. DudeMiester

Regular

Finally, the phone I would actually buy!

6. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

did they mention batteries life?

7. DemoCoder

Veteran

5 hour talk time, 16 hours of iPod functionality (music, et al)

Fuck! Why do they do this to me? Now I need to buy ANOTHER phone, after I just bought 2 video ipods.

8. NocturnDragon

Regular

From the iPhone Page

9. Arty

Arty KEPLER
    Veteran

Sucker! j/k :wink4:

10. DemoCoder

Veteran

I find Apple's design sensibility amazing. About the only thing this device is missing is 3G wireless, but they've got wifi anyway.

11. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

Looks nice. Why no 3G? Guaranteed to be expensive too though.

12. DemoCoder

Veteran

Expensive, but look what you get. A video iPod alone will set you back $250, but this is not just an iPod, it's got WiFi, GPRS, a GPS tracker, runs OS X, multitouch, phone, et al.

As for why no 3G? Well, it's GSM and the only 3G GSM in the US is Cingular's UMTS network, which is still fledging, and buggy. If they produce an EVDO version, they'd have to partner with Sprint.

For their first phone, I think they decided to take the less risky path and stay single air-interface, single carrier, and with a known chipset.

I would bet that next year's MacWorld will see several skus, including a smaller one, and one with either UMTS, or EVDO support, plus 802.11n, or maybe given Apple's tendency to buck the group, WiMAX. I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't really want to be stuck with network operators and is looking to the day when VOIP and packet networks will turn them into commodity bitpipes.

13. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Signed with Cingular through 2009.

14. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Video iPods are rather expensive too, though. ;) But anyway, it is an impressive device. It'll sell. When the iPod was launched, it was ridiculously expensive too, especially for what it was - or so I thought anyway. It sold like mad just the same.

15. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

I've been nursing a decrepit Treo 650 for over two years waiting for a better phone...buy why only GSM? GSM coverage just sucks in the US (although it's great most everywhere else).

16. DemoCoder

Veteran

Biz decision. I don't think they want to bite off too much in the beginning. GSM means they can sell the phone worldwide and on many carriers easily. Going with CDMA would mean Verizon or Sprint in the US, and there is no simcard-style interoperability between those, which means a headache for Apple as they'd have to support Sprint and Verizon's differing CDMA infrastructure.

Cingular is the largest wireless network in the US, 58 million customers. I think that's a good as reason as any to go with GSM. Plus, they get most of the rest of the world too. It's a quad-band worldphone.

GSM chipsets are cheaper and more mature too, and way more service infrastructure exists for GSM in terms of value added services. (GSM is much more than the air-interface)

17. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Agreed that GSM is the best biz move for apple, but I carry a cheapo phone on verizon with me at all times because I *know* my Cingular Treo 650 is going to drop critical calls or have no coverage in the middle of bumfick west verkota. The frustration is that I have better GSM service in China, Spain, wherever.

Really want that phone :)

18. DemoCoder

Veteran

I'd love it if it had UMTS or EVDO, guess we'll have to wait.

BTW, I misspoke. Apparently, it doesn't have GPS. Some mac rumor site inferred Google Maps integration == GPS. I think you'll still have to enter stuff manually, or use AGPS or cell tower location.

19. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

That is an amazing multi-function device, but to be taken seriously as a phone over here in the cut-throat European phone market, it's going to have to get better battery life. Especially if you use it's other functions and then find you've got not enough charge left to make a call when you really need to. I'd also like to see bigger storage on it, given the current Ipods have a lot more.

That said, it's a revolutionary way of presenting all that functionality in a much, much better package. I'm not a massive fan of Apple, but it's nice to see there are still some big companies making this kind of forward thinking product.

#20 Bouncing Zabaglione Bros., Jan 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2007