Apple iPad announced

Is it known for certain it won't have a (micro-)SD slot?

I guess it makes sense since it's Apple ... but ugh.

I may pick one up. I never looked at notebooks because they just didn't interest me. I didn't want a mini pc. My laptop, which I am looking to give to my sister, doesn't get any use. All I need is something to read books, surf the web, check email, and watch videos. Something portable around the house, at work, at the library or a friends house. This just may be it.

A problem for me is the lack of multi-tasking and notifications. I don't need 50 apps running at once but would like to have at least a limit of 3. One thing I hate is having to close an app to respond to an email or IM only to have to completely re-launch the previous app I was in, possibly starting from the beginning. Also, the pop-up notifications are extremely annoying. Just throw everything in a notification bar so I can see what alerts I have without having to scroll through several pages. So much screen real-estate and no use with multi-tasking, notification bar, or desktop widgets.

I am still proudly rocking the 1st gen iPhone because the software updates have been great and have yet to present me with an need to upgrade. Hopefully, future software updates will bring this device to life and solve some of my issues.

Yeah, no SD slot. It even uses mini-sim card no other company (currently) uses locking you to AT&T for data.

what we need is some kind soul who is an apple developer to access the beta sdk for the ipad and tell us what it saysabout graphics. the sdk for the original iphone specifically mentioned mbx by name.

BSN is just a rumour mill, I really can't see how anyone can trust them.

1. "We were told that the ARM licensed its CPU and GPU technology to Apple."
2. They removed the reference to "Mali 50 series" since it was so obviously wrong, without even making it clear they made that change.

I read so many junk on that site, that I'm close to thinking that if they claim something, then it's wrong, which would be stupid of course :D

http://www.iphonealley.com/node/2863

Apple Licenses Rights To Design ARM Processor? Now perhaps Mali was thrown in for free...but soon after there was this...

http://www.imgtec.com/News/Release/index.asp?NewsID=392

this company has now concluded a new multi-year, multi-use license agreement which gives it access to Imagination's wide range of current and future POWERVR graphics and video IP cores. As a result of this new agreement, it is expected that Imagination's IP cores will feature in a number of new SoCs to be used in this company's future products.

All things being equal why trade away from your core suppliers and take a risk with unproven technologiy in real silicon. deFacto is the way forward in my mind.

As I wrote earlier in this thread:
There’s a new VGA to Dock Connector Adapter ($29) for attaching the iPad to a projector or monitor. A Camera Accessory Kit ($29) that comes with a USB adapter and a SD card reader in one package, two separate pieces, to let the iPad import photos from a camera or card. The Keyboard Dock ($69) with a normal keyboard grafted on to the front of a plastic dock. A standard Dock ($29) with audio and dock connector ports on the back. And an Apple case ($39) made from plastic and microfiber, with a front flap that folds backwards to serve as a stand. Finally, there’s a new 10W power adapter that is included with the iPad or sold separately for $29; it uses a Dock Connector but obviously supplies more power than a typical USB port.

note particularly " A Camera Accessory Kit ($29) that comes with a USB adapter and a SD card reader in one package, two separate pieces, to let the iPad import photos from a camera or card.

Flash is a resource hog, seriously, sometimes the browser eats up as many resources on my computer as a game did a few years ago because of all the animated ad crap. It's also - AFAIK - completely owned and controlled by Adobe. So, in some ways, the web would be better off without it.

But there's another reason for the lack of support... Apple doesn't want the iPad/iPhone users to have access to all those free / ad-supported games and other applications that could compete with the applications they are trying to sell them.
So in some way, Apple is actually interested in Flash going on, because if all those free apps would run without it, they would have to do something else to close off their platforms from them...

As for the size, to me it is one of the big disadvantages of the iPhone, being just too small for reasonable browsing and typing emails... 10" on the other hand seems to be enough. The iPad seems to be the best travel companion CE device for the average user.

As I wrote earlier in this thread:

note particularly " A Camera Accessory Kit ($29) that comes with a USB adapter and a SD card reader in one package, two separate pieces, to let the iPad import photos from a camera or card.

You sure it's one piece that has USB and SD card slot? I thought there were two separate adaptors, either one with USB or one with SD card slot.

It's one thing not to make the ports and slots built-in.

But why all these different types of docks and adaptors, each costing $30 and more? Nickel and diming.

It would be easier to take if there was a dock with all the ports and make it an affordable $50 or so. That's what the keyboard dock should have, although that flat keyboard is not good.

As usual, the rumors and the mock ups are way ahead of the reality.

You sure it's one piece that has USB and SD card slot? I thought there were two separate adaptors, either one with USB or one with SD card slot.

Two separate pieces, sold as one package.

Okay, that's not so bad. But the USB and SD will probably be limited to loading photo content, not used to say expand the storage.

Hopefully some third-parties will come out with more attractive docks, like USB, SD and video out in one with built-in keyboard or additional USB ports for keyboards. and it holds the device up.

IOW, like a big dock for subnotebooks.

Actually, what they should do is enable streaming from a computer on the same Wifi network, like they do with AppleTV. Then storage wouldn't be nearly the concern.

And I don't know if a 32 GB model is worth $100 more when all other components are the same, not even faster processors, which is how Apple differentiates their Mac SKUs, not just by storage but RAM, CPU, GPU, screen size, etc.

With streaming, more people might be inclined to get the cheapest SKU.

So is it just me that wanted a Macbook or iMac with touch screen?

Probably not, but I think it may explain why there's so much Appley-flavoured geek angst on the Internets right now. Worries such as ... it hasn't got a DVD drive, there's not enough storage and so on. In other words, it's a cut-down computer that's been cut-down too much.

To my mind it's a grown-up media consumption and communications device that hasn't grown-up enough.

I'm eyeing the HP Slate and Notion Ink Adam.... more so the latter as it has that bitchin Pixel Qi screen. I wish someone would put that screen in a tablet that runs Win7 like the Slate. iPad is for people who are either rich, lazy, or ignorant IMHO.

So is it just me that wanted a Macbook or iMac with touch screen?
Think it through - the reason to run the regular MacOS would presumably be to run regular OSX applications. But those applications were never meant to be run on a slate, they were meant to use keyboard and mouse (and typically more screen real estate).

You're asking for a bad user experience.
So the system would presumably provide kludges for being able to navigate and input data in current apps. And where would that leave future software - should it use a keyboard/mouse interface, or a gesture interface or try to cater to both?
No, Apple understands that the interface paradigms aren't interchangeable. They already provide small portable MacOS systems to run MacOS apps. You could wish for something smaller and lighter than the MacBook Air, but a tablet isn't it. A tablet is another kind of interface paradigm. Trying to make MacOS and its applications run via touch on a small tablet is simply not a good idea, particularly not when Apple already has what is arguably the best touch interface in the industry in somewhat different class of devices, and can leverage that and its legions of developers immediately.

If you're asking for an actual iMac with a touch interface, forcing you to not only shift your hands away from the keyboard to the mouse, but also up and waving around on the screen you try to work on - then YES you're the only one wishing for that kind of ergonomic disaster. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back