Apple goes patenting again

Discussion in 'Politics & Ethics of Technology' started by Kaotik, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/16/apple-now-owns-the-page-turn/?smid=tw-nytimesbits&seid=auto

This time, they patented the "page turn" effect. Once again it's of course irrelevant that it's been used by others for years and years before

edit:

#1 Kaotik, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2012
  2. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Why are these patents even being granted? It's as if the USPO is just saying "grant everything and let the lawyers sort it out in court". Which is exactly what the patent office was originally set up to prevent. This kind of IP land grab by a big company should be punished.

Apple seems to be trying to dethrone Microsoft for the "Evil Empire" title.

3. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

There was a page turning effect in Faery Tale Adventure for the Commodore Amiga back in 1987. May have been others in games previously. Anyway, how on earth is simply mimicking a real-world, non-patentable action patentable on a touch device?

Wut.

Anyway, don't blame Apple for trying, in today's fucked-up business world companies HAVE to try to patent regardless how bullshit the application is, or else get sued back to the stoneage by someone else who did try and succeeded. No, blame the screwy patent system that allows nonsense like this.

4. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

I wouldn't blame apple for trying if they also weren't the most likely to try and enforce these ridiculous patents (ie if their intent was only to protect their own usage). Apple has long since surpassed MS in terms of evil.

5. Angelcurio

Regular

Next thing you know is that Apple will be granted a patent for a "bezel-less display screen for a portable device".

6. pcchen

pcchen Moderator
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

Design patents are completely different from utility patents.

7. Jaroslav Kourakin

Newcomer

I threw my iphone 5 to the floor recently.

Only being able to copy a limited number of files through iTunes should be enough for the company to just die. It's funny no review or comparison I looked at took this up. What's the point the point of having a company patent technology and design, and then not even use that properly? The phone also radiates three to four times than Samsung phone, and this is even perceivable.

I read iOS6 will have better file sharing abilities, but why does that matter, they're still just a bunch of sleezy bastards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ

8. Grearlacte

Newcomer

Patent is a good way to win over your competitors. It's very sad that courts easily grant patents to Apple. I find this very weird, especially the patent of glass staircase for the stores. The idea is not something new,but they were the only ones who claimed it. Evil empire? There are more than 30 patents to prove this new Apple title.