Apple buys Chip Designer PA Semi

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSC

Regular
Banned
http://www.forbes.com/technology/2008/04/23/apple-buys-pasemi-tech-ebiz-cz_eb_0422apple.html

Late Tuesday, in response to questions from Forbes.com, an Apple spokesman said Apple has agreed to buy a boutique microprocessor design company called PA Semi. The company, which is known for its design of sophisticated, low-power chips, could spell a new future for Apple's flagship iPhone, and possibly iPod products as well.

The 150-person chip company, P.A. Semi, was founded in 2003 by Dan Dobberpuhl, who was a lead designer for the well-regarded Alpha and StrongARM microprocessors developed by Digital Equipment in the 1990s.

Apple's choice is a blow for chip maker Intel (nasdaq: INTC - news - people ), which has been trying to convince Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple to rely on Intel's chips--particularly its latest low-power line up, called Atom.

That kills all the Atom in future iPhone rumours in 1 swoop? I'd love a penny for Intel execs thought about this.

This is big news, for certain. PA Semi is no joke of an outfit, and it indicates that Apple is willing to start taking on more of the design and manufacturing burden for its products with an obvious confidence that they can differentiate in meaningful ways.

That kills all the Atom in future iPhone rumours in 1 swoop? I'd love a penny for Intel execs thought about this.

I have a hard time believing Atom was ever an option for the iPhone. Even the lowest power specs are pretty high and the north bridge is too big and too power hungry as well. I expected Moorestown to be the first real option.

That said, this acquisition is stunning. Is Apple planning to switch to a PowerPC CPU? Does P.A Semi have any experience with all the multimedia stuff: audio/video encoding/decoding/GPU/GPS etc? What possible added value do they think it can bring to them? I can't make sense of it.

I have a hard time believing Atom was ever an option for the iPhone. Even the lowest power specs are pretty high and the north bridge is too big and too power hungry as well. I expected Moorestown to be the first real option.

That said, this acquisition is stunning. Is Apple planning to switch to a PowerPC CPU? Does P.A Semi have any experience with all the multimedia stuff: audio/video encoding/decoding/GPU/GPS etc? What possible added value do they think it can bring to them? I can't make sense of it.

It might make more sense if the rumors are true that Apple was the "international electronics systems company" that IMG announced on 06/07/07 had licensed their 3D SGX and video IP cores.

Rob.

PA Semi's PPC core is too high power (and big) for phones as well.

To me, it looks pretty ideal for a souped up Apple TV box with gaming capabilities exceeding Wii (HD res, much more processor power than Wii).

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back