Apple A12 and A12X SoCs

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices and SoCs' started by iMacmatician, May 7, 2018.

1. mfaisalkemal

Newcomer

@Nebuchadnezzar. After you reveal A12 cpu voltage and frequency table, could you tell us on the GPU side such as peak GPU frequency? I suspect A12 gpu has 1GHz so it has 512GFLOP(4core x 64FMA according @Arun).

2. Nebuchadnezzar

Legend Veteran

512GFLOP sounds super low, I don't think that's accurate.

I don't have the GPU frequencies.

3. iMacmatician

Regular

Apple announced new iPad Pro models today.
    The LiDAR scanner is presumably the rumored ToF/3D sensor.
    The A12Z has an 8 core GPU, which is one more graphics core than the A12X. I wonder if it is the "Tinos" chip with 4 big CPU cores and 4 big CPU cores that @never_released mentioned last year.

I wonder how much RAM the new iPad Pros have. While the 2018 iPad Pros have differing RAM capacities based on storage (4 GB for 64/256/512 GB and 6 GB for 1 TB), there were also eight different model identifiers, four for the 4 GB models and four for the 6 GB models. In contrast, only four identifiers for the new iPad Pros have been found, so I think there's a strong chance of only one RAM amount for the entire iPad Pro lineup.

Entropy, DSoup and BRiT like this.
  4. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I meant to post earlier, well done you beat a ton of major tech sites which this announcement and many still have not covered it. I've been waiting to upgrade my iPad for a few years so a 12.9" 512Gb slate is winging its way to me early next week. Ship times have already rolled back by weeks so my thanks for a timely post!

iMacmatician likes this.
  5. wco81

Legend

$300 or $350 for that keyboard with the trackpad.

That puts the 11-inch iPad Pro WiFi model with the Magic Keyboard at $1100.

They also allude to third-party pointing device support.

At the prices of the Magic Keyboard, you’d think third parties will have a lot of room to provide alternatives at much more competitive prices.

That hinge looks great in the photo but will it work well if not on tables or desks, such as sitting on a couch or using in bed?

There used to be data showing that mornings and nights, around times when people would wake up or go to bed were peak times for iPad or mobile device usage, suggesting that usage in bed was pretty common.

I’m wondering if this Magic Keyboard would be better-positioned as a desktop dock, with more ports.

There are rumors of another iPad Pro coming later in the fall, with 5G modem and presumably an A13 SOC variant.

6. iMacmatician

Regular

According to 9to5Mac, the entire new iPad Pro lineup has 6 GB RAM.

DSoup likes this.
  7. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran

Is there in the wild a fully nude A12X's dieshot?