Apple A12 and A12X SoCs

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices and SoCs' started by iMacmatician, May 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. iMacmatician

Regular

The Twitter user who gave details* on the core configuration of the A11 before its release has now provided information on the A12 generation.
    * secondary sources linked because old tweets were deleted

2. Voxilla

Regular

The A12X should be good enough to replace most Intel CPUs...

3. wco81

Legend

Hmm, think they'd introduce new iPads this week at WWDC with the A12 variant?

Or wait for iPhone to debut A12?

4. Entropy

Veteran

C’mon, the conference is in less than 24h!
    Patience, young grasshopper! (Rumors say no, but what good is rumors this close to WWDC?)

5. wco81

Legend

I bought my iPad Pro last year so it'll be a few more years.

I think what would be most interesting for an iPad, since Apple touts movie-watching, would be an OLED screen with HDR.

Performance should be well down in the list of priorities, though I guess they're going to keep pushing Apple SOC performance to rival laptop CPUs.

They'll probably put in new SOC and FaceID and call it a day.

6. Entropy

Veteran

I have the current model big iPad Pro, and I’d say that reducing the bezel would be a major thing. It’s just a tad too bulky and heavy. They could do it a la the 10.5”, or go full iPhone X in which case they might want OLED.

In terms of SoC performance, the A10x does a good job with RAW image editing and video editing, but this is also an area where demands will increase the next couple of years so more performance would be appreciated. IPads sell a lot more than MacBooks, so it competes with laptops of all brands. More processing grunt is better, and Apple is free of intels market stratification games on this platform.

#26 Entropy, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  7. wco81

Legend

I have Lightroom mobile on my iPad Pro.

I even have a camera connector so on a recent trip, I used it to load my RAW files from my DSLR.

But I used it only for storage, had no desire whatsoever to edit photos on an iPad. I may try it some day but I'm paying $120 a year for Adobe CC subscription so I'm going to use it on my iMac, with the bigger screen and trackpad for pointer control. I don't do much with masks but I still want that pointer rather than tapping parts of an image to edit it.

The import of a couple of hundred RAW files took a long time and I can't imagine how long it would take to stitch say a dozen images for a panorama. Lightroom will peg my CPU during import, applying presets and stitching. I don't have the fastest CPU or GPU that I could have gotten on the 5K iMac but I loaded up the RAM and I can't imagine how much longer similar operations will take on the iPad, even with the fastest SOCs.

I use Lightroom Mobile mainly to view collections (or subsets) of my photos that I've sync'd from my desktop.

Even if there was processing power parity, I doubt I'd edit thousands of RAW files on an iPad.

8. Entropy

Veteran

Nobody edits thousands of RAW files anywhere. Batch processing is where it’s at in those volumes. I don’t use my iPad as my primary editing station either, iMac here as well for that. But for doing stuff away from home, Affinity Photo and the iPad Pro is quite capable of fixing up some files for evaluation (and finishing, if I required it). I anticipate that world+dog will move to 8k video sometime before the 2020 tokyo olympics, and photo file sizes will follow suit. IPads are nice platforms (if not ideal, although file handling is said to keep progressing) for the tasks. With even the new mid-end Mali V76 GPU supporting 8k video encoding and decoding, upcoming Apple products are bound to do the same. Maybe the A12(x)?

9. wco81

Legend

Right, presets and then some minor individual adjustments.

10. wco81

Legend

No new iPads or iOS devices with new SOCs announced at WWDC keynote.

So things will be quiet on A12 until probably the fall.

iMacmatician likes this.