Apparently Half Life 2 in VR is insanely good

I read about that awhile back. Of course it will need to be checked out. Maybe the game will feel fresh again. VR does that.

I wonder on just how many different types of hardware I've played the game. First on a Radeon 9600 on my old hot-rod Athlon64 notebook. I've tried it on DirectX 7 through 12 cards. On the NVidia Shield Tablet. On the original XBox. Now in VR in 2022!

Last edited:

On September the 16th.

Features:
  • Full room-scale VR with tracked motion controls. Physically walk around, pick up objects and climb ladders the way that only Virtual Reality allows.
  • Intuitive and realistic weapon interactions, with quick and easy weapon switching via a radial menu, ammo storage over your shoulder, functional iron-sights, two-handed weapons, and manual reloading.
  • Control options including; full left-handed support, a laser sight, and arcade style "quick reload".
  • Comfort features like motion vignette and 3rd person vehicle camera. (Note: there is currently no teleport movement option.)
  • Playable on any VR headset which is supported by SteamVR.

đź‘Ś

I didn't see any problems playing it on the Reverb G2. It has lots of VR options, all the VR style control you want, including manual reloads and object manipulation. Runs like a dream as HL2 should on modern hardware. Stable. Free. :)

20220916_205538_MixedReality.jpg

20220916_205655_MixedReality.jpg20220916_205808_MixedReality.jpg20220916_205830_MixedReality.jpg20220916_210519_MixedReality.jpg20220916_210550_MixedReality.jpg20220916_210853_MixedReality.jpg

Last edited:
OMG I can't believe this is free! I've always wanted to play Alyx and I assume this is very comparable? Time to dust off my Rift and download my ancient Orange Box HL2 copy on Steam!

Managed to give it a very quick go earlier. Not properly as had kids running around my feet, but I'm amazed how slick and easy the experience was. Certainly not your usual class of mod. I installed it direct from Steam, and it just.... worked. Perfectly! Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it properly later.

Managed to give it a very quick go earlier. Not properly as had kids running around my feet, but I'm amazed how slick and easy the experience was. Certainly not your usual class of mod. I installed it direct from Steam, and it just.... worked. Perfectly! Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it properly later.
And the HL2 gun fights are quite a new experience played with the manual reloading, sighting and immersion of VR.

The full-manual ladder climbing is a little tricky. Mainly the part when you are at the top and want to escape from it. I fall a lot. The game seems to want you to line up just right and then you snap to the top and can walk away from it.

Last edited:
Q1 2023

Hello everyone,

we have been busy behind the scenes to prepare the episodes for a VR release. Today, we are finally ready to announce that Episode One is scheduled to release later in Q1 2023!
The episodes will get separate Steam pages, similar to the original episodes. The pages are currently in preparation, and we will update you as soon as they are available.

In the meantime, to celebrate with you, we have prepared this short announcement trailer for your enjoyment:

And the HL2 gun fights are quite a new experience played with the manual reloading, sighting and immersion of VR.

The full-manual ladder climbing is a little tricky. Mainly the part when you are at the top and want to escape from it. I fall a lot. The game seems to want you to line up just right and then you snap to the top and can walk away from it.

This wasn't a problem for me. Throwing grenades were. At times you are required to hit sniper windows and I could hardly ever do that. The second trouble was inaccuracies during reloading. Overall still not bad for the first shooter I went through in Quest 2.

This wasn't a problem for me. Throwing grenades were. At times you are required to hit sniper windows and I could hardly ever do that. The second trouble was inaccuracies during reloading. Overall still not bad for the first shooter I went through in Quest 2.
I think they made ladders less tricky in a update.

The grenades are troublesome indeed. Throwing a weightless object is strange (while also not throwing the controller heh) and then there are the tracking quirks as well.

Reloading is similar but I can adapt to that for the most part. Shotguns are usually much more difficult to work with in most VR games than 2D though. The one in Alyx is not bad.

Both Episode 1 and 2 are out now.

I've played through most of Ep1 and they've done another great job.

Back