Apparantly im mental...

Squilliam

Beyond3d isn't defined yet
Veteran
Supporter
Had to see the Psychologist today but he tells me I have a thing but he won't tell me what that thing is, is this something I should worry about? :(

Lol thanks, its an official thing I dunno... creeps me out.. it's like if you're sane it makes you feel mental and if you're mental it makes you feel sane when you talk to one.

Lol thanks, its an official thing I dunno... creeps me out.. it's like if you're sane it makes you feel mental and if you're mental it makes you feel sane when you talk to one.

First of all, there are still very few psychologists out there who have a decent enough level of scientific understanding of the brain to be able to reliably tell anyone anything useful. Each time something new comes along, people hand out the new 'label' left and right based on symptoms only, where you should be looking at the cause for the symptoms first (boredom =/= ADD or ADHD for instance), and a lot of things are circumstantial rather than innate.

I can't say how thankful I am that one particular brand of old-school analytical psychologists (read: the bartender type) have been taken out of general insurance coverage over here.

Next, I don't think he can legally tell you you have a thing but withholding that information from you. So if you want to know, just tell him you have a right to know. All 'conditions' that I know of you are better of knowing about them, so you can train yourself to compensate for them.

Finally, many psychological lables don't refer to anything really serious, or you don't have it in a level that is serious. All 'modern' conditions like ADD, ADHD, Autism, Aspergers etc. are relative rather than absolute diagnosis, and you can have it a very little or a lot and everything inbetween, as well as have it as a cause of a defect in the brain, through lack of education/training, and everything inbetween as well.

That said, if you're overly worried about it, you're probably a paranoid schyzophrenic. ;)

A quick google shows Arwin is right. You have the legal right to learn of the results of your tests.

Of course the mere fact he told you there was something wrong with you and refused to tell you is pretty indicative that he is rather arrogant ... and you don't really want to offend psychologists you "have" to visit for whatever reason. So you probably want to be gentle in how you approach this.

Maybe do it by (certified) mail rather than in person?

PS. if he has to send in an assessment to your employer probably want to do it after he send it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course the mere fact he told you there was something wrong with you and refused to tell you is pretty indicative that he is rather arrogant
...Or cynical, incompetent, evil...combination of all of the above.

Seriously, if someone's consulting or treating you, you have the right to know. I'm pretty sure it'd be an ethics violation to say you have an issue, and then refuse to divulge what that alledgedly is. SUE THE BASTARD!

...No, don't sue, but you should push to find out what the big secret is, and have the person state why it's been kept from you.

Except these people have power over you ... so approach with care.

If it was an employer assessment you probably only gave consent for him to send one report. If so then anything which happens after that report is confidential again ... if so, I would wait till that time. Better safe than sorry.

My Psychologist told me I'm schizophrenic, but we're all right now..

*sigh*

Look, schizophrenia is not multiple personality disorder(It's been renamed, but I cannot recall the exact name). Schizophrenia is when you see/hear/smell/taste/touch things that aren't there, and are able to even carry on conversations with them.

Squilliam, I hope the psychologist(Or did you see a psychiatrist? Two different things there) is wrong. I'm mentally ill, and it's no fucking picnic!

"cognitive dissonance" or perception dissonance is a way you can characterize it, and is somewhat behind the historical and cultural confusion with multiple personalities.

awesome timing, I've had an overt schizophrenia episode last night, alone lying on my couch.
self-diagnosed. I saw a psychiatrist only once, a few times, when I was still a student and we discusssed depression and the lifelong "socia phobia" I had been getting away from. Took anti-depression medication but throw it away in the garbage after a week or so.

It's quite funny experiencing an acute episode of hallucinations while being aware of what it is, only during about two hours you can't escape it and that's painful and frightening somewhat. I did get to really hear music and found myself in places and social situations I don't remember well this time.

It's not too different from dreaming really. Or ever had a little music sticking reluctantly in your head? thought of a loved one you were "tragically" or tragically seperated from, coming back haunting you?
as Arwin said "mental conditions" are loose, and over-diagnosing may be dangerous or outright fraudulent (american kids diagnosed with ADHD and given pills for being kids?)

that episode came after two alcohol overdoses (I never vomit) and something of a PTSD resurfacing.
pretty crap health with lots of tobacco too. really tobacco and alcohol abuse are much more harmful and deadly than occasional use of illicit drugs.
I may have some genetic predisposition, possibly going back to a "witch" ancester who terrorized the village and poisoned pigs (wtf)

the real medication is love, needs lots of it. or finding stuff to do, or lifting weights whatever.
if/when you have a life you're not really in danger

First of all, there are still very few psychologists out there who have a decent enough level of scientific understanding of the brain to be able to reliably tell anyone anything useful. Each time something new comes along, people hand out the new 'label' left and right based on symptoms only, where you should be looking at the cause for the symptoms first (boredom =/= ADD or ADHD for instance), and a lot of things are circumstantial rather than innate.

Now that I think about it I think I confused him. Is is neccessarily a bad thing when you confuse your psychologist? But yeah I was thinking about the rough cause for the symptoms, something which unifies everything somewhat...

I can't say how thankful I am that one particular brand of old-school analytical psychologists (read: the bartender type) have been taken out of general insurance coverage over here.

Whats the bartender type? I've never talked to a bar tender so im not sure what they do.

Finally, many psychological lables don't refer to anything really serious, or you don't have it in a level that is serious. All 'modern' conditions like ADD, ADHD, Autism, Aspergers etc. are relative rather than absolute diagnosis, and you can have it a very little or a lot and everything inbetween, as well as have it as a cause of a defect in the brain, through lack of education/training, and everything inbetween as well.

That said, if you're overly worried about it, you're probably a paranoid schyzophrenic. ;)

I try to be paranoid, it makes life fun! So year officially im not bipolar anymore but I have nothing to replace that with.

Except these people have power over you ... so approach with care.

Actually it was paid by the government, does that make a difference?

*sigh*

Squilliam, I hope the psychologist(Or did you see a psychiatrist? Two different things there) is wrong. I'm mentally ill, and it's no fucking picnic!

Officially I am too, but they stole my label and wouldn't give me another, bastards! It feels like they are trying to make me go again... bah!

"cognitive dissonance" or perception dissonance is a way you can characterize it, and is somewhat behind the historical and cultural confusion with multiple personalities.

You mean like having different perspectives of the same thing?

awesome timing, I've had an overt schizophrenia episode last night, alone lying on my couch.
self-diagnosed. I saw a psychiatrist only once, a few times, when I was still a student and we discusssed depression and the lifelong "socia phobia" I had been getting away from. Took anti-depression medication but throw it away in the garbage after a week or so

It's quite funny experiencing an acute episode of hallucinations while being aware of what it is, only during about two hours you can't escape it and that's painful and frightening somewhat. I did get to really hear music and found myself in places and social situations I don't remember well this time..

Anti-depressive medication scares me for some reason. I just can't bring myself to touch the crap. Oh yeah since im here, I've never hallucinated except one of the few times I had the wacky-backy and I HATE wacky-backy cos it makes me angry. :-/

that episode came after two alcohol overdoses (I never vomit) and something of a PTSD resurfacing.
pretty crap health with lots of tobacco too. really tobacco and alcohol abuse are much more harmful and deadly than occasional use of illicit drugs.
I may have some genetic predisposition, possibly going back to a "witch" ancester who terrorized the village and poisoned pigs (wtf)

Poisoned pigs and alcohol overdoses? Not a very good combination.

Squilliam it's obvious really. You are a closet
console gamer!

Noooooo

My psychologist fired me after a session, apparently I scared them. :oops: (True story, double-oops. :oops: )

Thats... what... makes... me... wonder... too .... .... ... ... .. . *many dots*

Worse, I was honest about my feelings when talking about my troubles with rage flashes. :rolleyes:

I think I might get those rage things. Whats that connected to I wonder... :( Luckily I focus on people who live overseas that you might find discussed in RSPC.

laughed my ass out on this one :LOL:

I get my sentences muddled up sometimes... :mrgreen:

I had a bit of a funny today lol. The local police advertise for recruits on TV having the tag line 'make better job stories'. Well I felt compelled to oblige. Some of my ideas were if I got pulled over in my car:

1. Hop in the passenger seat and then claim that the driver ran away. When the officer questioned me about it I was going to claim he was seeing things and call the mental health crisis team.

2. Call the police communications centre and claim the policeman had been run over by a parked car and hurt badly.

3. Challenge him to a duel with a dildo.

4. Sing instead of talk.

The funny thing is aside from 3 because I don't own a dildo im not sure I wouldn't have done all of that, maybe at once. :-/

Back