Anyone think the console forum is too heavily moderated?

Mutiny, Dave gets banned, and after a bitter civil war between Sonic, Neeyik and jvd, jvd gets crowned supreme ruler of the desolate wasteland that remains of Beyond3D.

:cry:

jvd said:
Except there is no agreement from me . Thus it has nothing to do with me . You would need my confirmation and agreement with said statment for it to be being to me .

Your having a little temper tantrum because your wrong and now your trying to sound right .

As i've said Sonic does not have the right to speak for me . He does not have my power of attorney . Thus anything he agrees on for me to do is not binding for me .

Only my writen consent (or verbel ) would bind me to doing anything .

Which you do not have . Thus i'm not responsible for any of these promises your trying to hold me too that are not made by me .

And this is just one of the reasons why I think jvd shouldn't have been a moderator in the first place...
If you read the "why can't Oblivion run on the PS3"-thread it gets even clearer. A moderator should never be one of the biggest contributors in the flaming/shitfest that eventually forces the thread to be closed.

This is probably half the reason the console forum was shut down. Half the threads seemed to turn into mod bashing.

At the end of the day, mods are law. Like a football ref - they tell you you've fouled and they give the ball to the opposition. There's no point arguing as they won't change their minds. If you have a problem take it up through official channels.

Honestly, how do people hope to change jvd or anyone else being a mod by publicly hijacking threads and wingeing all the time? That just messes up what the forum is for. By all means if you want to complain do so, but do so in the right place, and if nothing changes, live with it or leave. No-one's forcing you to be here. I'm pretty fed up of these arguments of personality and beaurocracy. Learn to let things go.

I never said I had to be here. Just making a suggestion to try to make the discussions flow better.

But the forum's gone now so we can lock this :LOL:

Johnny_Physics said:
jvd said:
Except there is no agreement from me . Thus it has nothing to do with me . You would need my confirmation and agreement with said statment for it to be being to me .

Your having a little temper tantrum because your wrong and now your trying to sound right .

As i've said Sonic does not have the right to speak for me . He does not have my power of attorney . Thus anything he agrees on for me to do is not binding for me .

Only my writen consent (or verbel ) would bind me to doing anything .

Which you do not have . Thus i'm not responsible for any of these promises your trying to hold me too that are not made by me .

And this is just one of the reasons why I think jvd shouldn't have been a moderator in the first place...
If you read the "why can't Oblivion run on the PS3"-thread it gets even clearer. A moderator should never be one of the biggest contributors in the flaming/shitfest that eventually forces the thread to be closed.

I'll have to agree. This feels even more frustrating now that the console forum has (at least for now) been closed. The message coming from mods (jvd) is that it was closed because of too much trolling. Sure, that was one major problem that requested immediate action. Not closing the console forum, though.

But that was not the whole problem. There seemed to be something else wrong in the forum, evident also from this thread. I feel the other problem was wrong person doing the moderation, jvd. I don't know if that resulted from lack of time (he has admitted that himself on many occasions), or too much emotional investment in the subject... All in all, my opinion is that jvd is not the correct mod for console forum, and a temporary closing of console forum will not solve that problem.

I can't help but feeling that console forum was closed because too many people disagreed with jvd in the threads on technical matters. But that is surely just exaggeration caused by the frustration.

Lol . I love you guys .

First I have no powers on this site except in the console forum . Meaning I can not lock the forum it self .

Secondly I didn't go to bed last night and went strait to work. Came home after a busy day and found the forum locked and don't know the full reasons .

Secondly I've never moderated any thread i was involved in . IF I saw a problem in a thread I was posting in I would allways send sonic a pm and say I'm involved in this thread , please keep an eye on it . Even if i was involved only on page 2 and its now on page 12 . Further more there are tons of posts with people blatently breaking the rules , insulting me and cursing at me that i never once deleted or modified in anyway .

The problem really is the new posters in the last year of the console forum to the last few weeks that believe they know exactly how thigns should be done . This sadly isn't the case .

The other problem is the little groups as if we were in high school . You post something that one group doens't like and are jumped on by that group. You post something another group doesn't like and then you are jumped on by that group.

The console forum has serious problems and I would say a good 15-20 people need to go before dave brings the forum back if ever .

And the mods of the console forum need the power to ban from the console forum .

jvd said:
And the mods of the console forum need the power to ban from the console forum .
It can't happen, period. The software won't work that way without screwing up the rest of the site.

Methinks that's why Dave keeps talking about a daughter-site to B3D for consoles, so he could appoint admins over at BeyondConsoles who could ban and such and keep it all seperate from B3D yet giving y'all the power to actually be able to do your jobs.

Just my .02

It can't happen, period. The software won't work that way without screwing up the rest of the site.

Yes I know . Which is why other things have happened .

Methinks that's why Dave keeps talking about a daughter-site to B3D for consoles, so he could appoint admins over at BeyondConsoles who could ban and such and keep it all seperate from B3D yet giving y'all the power to actually be able to do your jobs.

Aye I sugest this

New daughter site with a front page and a forum .

Inside the forum have

Microsoft catagory
Xbox 360 technical forum
xbox 360 game talk
xbox technical and game talk forum

Sony catagory

ps3 technical forum
ps3 game talk

ps1 / ps2 technical and game talk forum

Nintendo catagory

Ns5 technical forum
Ns5 game talk
Previous nintendo forum .

I would gladly sign up to mod the xbox and nintendo forum.

On the front page we could post stories adn the most interesting threads and othe things .

It would bring in more visitors and he can set up 2 or 3 people to have admin rights for the forum. Perhaps use a new forum software and give a head mod for each section banning rights for that sectino. I.e Sonic would have sony ban rights , I would have microsoft ban rights and Neeyik would have nintendo ban rights .

Thus no one was to much power and if someone is good in the ms forum and doens't troll but goes to the sony forum and trolls we can keep him on the part where he is acting good . If its really bad he can be banned from all 3

Because sadly right now the mod powers are just not enough

Shifty Geezer said:
This is probably half the reason the console forum was shut down. Half the threads seemed to turn into mod bashing.

At the end of the day, mods are law. Like a football ref - they tell you you've fouled and they give the ball to the opposition. There's no point arguing as they won't change their minds. If you have a problem take it up through official channels.

Honestly, how do people hope to change jvd or anyone else being a mod by publicly hijacking threads and wingeing all the time? That just messes up what the forum is for. By all means if you want to complain do so, but do so in the right place, and if nothing changes, live with it or leave. No-one's forcing you to be here. I'm pretty fed up of these arguments of personality and beaurocracy. Learn to let things go.

I haven't said a single word about a moderator before my last post, I think. I rarely even post, I just read, so my perspective is a bit different from the 'players' in your analogy.
And you make it sound like the console forum is some kind of game with different teams trying to score goals on each other, with a referee handing out points, seriously, that's not what it should be like. Not here.
But the problem was that it became a game and the moderators not only accepted that, they played along. As jvd acknowledged, and demonstrated on multiple occasions, he would duke it out like the worst of them if he felt the urge. It shouldn't be like that, the presence of a couple of clueless hotheads is inevitable, but the moderator shouldn't be one of them.

So if the console forum ever returns, try to pick some better mods. Someone with knowledge and experience about the subject, or someone that at least can stand back and moderate the forum without getting involved, without trying to be the voice of authority on a subject he/she knows nothing about, without trying to award points/penalties to those who fight for consoleY.

digitalwanderer said:
jvd said:
Oh come on ... even without hacking the board code itself you could always just put together a cgi script which bans someone using Dave's credentials.

jvd said:

Yes I know . Which is why other things have happened .

Aye I sugest this

Inside the forum have

Microsoft catagory
Xbox 360 technical forum
xbox 360 game talk
xbox technical and game talk forum

Sony catagory

ps3 technical forum
ps3 game talk

ps1 / ps2 technical and game talk forum

Nintendo catagory

Ns5 technical forum
Ns5 game talk
Previous nintendo forum .

On the front page we could post stories adn the most interesting threads and othe things .

It would bring in more visitors and he can set up 2 or 3 people to have admin rights for the forum. Perhaps use a new forum software and give a head mod for each section banning rights for that sectino. I.e Sonic would have sony ban rights , I would have microsoft ban rights and Neeyik would have nintendo ban rights .

Thus no one was to much power and if someone is good in the ms forum and doens't troll but goes to the sony forum and trolls we can keep him on the part where he is acting good . If its really bad he can be banned from all 3

I would love that setup, but keep it clean like these forums (no avatars...and crap like that). I've been traumatised at what they did to Psinext.com's forums...OMG thats just a horrible.

Having a forum is a security risk too.

In and of itself it's as secure as any password protected administration tool. You potentially introduce something which could be exploited together with other exploits in a chain, but if the hacker gets that far you are probably already screwed anyway.

jvd said:
Aye I sugest this

Inside the forum have

etc

I may not always agree with you, jvd, but this is a great idea. Full support for this.

Jaws said:
I'll leave this to Neeyik or Dave to sort out....

I'm leaving this thread...

Wow!...Bitchin' in the 'correct' forum actually gets results!

*Buys everyone a round of virtual beers*

CHEERS!

8)

Back