Anyone think the console forum is too heavily moderated?

Sonic said:
There needs to be a solution for this. There has to be something that can be done with the software to allow certain features in the way of banning. Though I do understand they may be tricky to implement.
There's phpBB up-to-date boards "pre-hacked" available. No coding is needed.

Also, we have tons of people with enough php knoweldge on the board who could hack the phpBB software and include the required hacks.

It's ultimately up to Dave. I guess we'll find out sooner or later if anything is going to happen about this.

Can anyone tell me why PHP doesn't support these features? It is just not possible with the software or did they deliberately decide to forego these much needed features>

Vysez said:
There's phpBB up-to-date boards "pre-hacked" available. No coding is needed.

Also, we have tons of people with enough php knoweldge on the board who could hack the phpBB software and include the required hacks.
Good in theory, never had much luck with it in practice though.

Sonic said:
Can anyone tell me why PHP doesn't support these features? It is just not possible with the software or did they deliberately decide to forego these much needed features>
Because phpBB is a GNU project, and they concentrate their work only on the primary functions.

http://www.phpbb.com/

It's up to the user to create mods. Even the simplier ones...

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/

http://forum.phpbb.biz/viewforum_115.html (pre modded phpBB)

It exists other (good...) softs, but best of them are not free.

http://www.vbulletin.com/

http://www.invisionboard.com/

http://www.yabbforum.com/ (Free)

http://www.minibb.net/ (Free)

jvd,

How long does it really take you to write: "because people won't stop posting off-topic complaints despite being PMd I am locking the thread", or somesuch?

Unless you're a really lousy typist it won't be more than about thirty seconds. If you CAN'T SPARE thirty seconds of your life to provide a reasonable explanation as to why you lock a thread, I don't think you should be a mod.

You keep saying nothing is wrong bla bla, but people are telling you over and over - both here and in the console forum - they don't understand why threads keep getting locked with no explanation. It doesn't take einstein to figure out that indeed something IS wrong here, and what it is.

The reason you (and sonic) need to give explanations is - like I said the first time but apparantly you didn't understand - because it is frustrating to those who actually do try to live by the rules and write good posts, to see the topic they started (or replied in for that matter) locked all of a sudden and with no apparant reason.

The one I provided as an example is a prime one. I visited the console forum, this topic was listed as new, with 18 posts in it if I remember correctly and it was already locked. When reading through it there was no apparant reason as to why a topic got locked and it was still on the first page of posts. Usually, only highly inflammatory topics get locked while on the first page, but all I found was a couple guys disputing the source of the rumors. There wasn't even any fighting going on, it was quite civil actually. That you or sonic may have deleted posts from the thread in the past isn't something I can see, or know. The whole topic was new to me when I came there. So YES, you DO need to provide an explanation. Alright?

Spend the thirty seconds man. And if you by "I don't have enough time" actually mean "I can't be feckin' bothered to", again, you need to re-evaluate why you are a mod to begin with.

Thank you.

How long does it really take you to write: "because people won't stop posting off-topic complaints despite being PMd I am locking the thread", or somesuch?

Why do i need to post it ? Can't you figure it out for yourself .

Not to mention that as i've already said sometimes iwill lock a thread and get called away at work thus no response . Sometimes I will be reading the message board waiting for my gf to be ready and then leaving with out leaving a reason . Sometimes there may be 30 threads with many responses to each that i haven't read and its time for me to crash or its time for me to go to work or leave work .

30 seconds is 30 less seconds spent else where .

You keep saying nothing is wrong bla bla, but people are telling you over and over - both here and in the console forum - they don't understand why threads keep getting locked with no explanation. It doesn't take einstein to figure out that indeed something IS wrong here, and what it is.

People should read the thread then . Its still there. The thread wasn't deleted .

The reason you (and sonic) need to give explanations is - like I said the first time but apparantly you didn't understand - because it is frustrating to those who actually do try to live by the rules and write good posts, to see the topic they started (or replied in for that matter) locked all of a sudden and with no apparant reason.
And you think its not fustrating to me to have to sit and explain myself in every locked thread when not only are there other posts i still have to read but then there are other things i still have to do .

The one I provided as an example is a prime one
Apparently u didn't read through it or you would have seen attacks made on a member . One was left with out being edited as there was no cursing , others were deleted and the offender kepted trying to post in it and other threads . I locked the thread with other people flaming in it so that I could prevent said person from crapping on other threads and people responding to those crap posts which make my job even harder .

To you its not a big deal for me to leave a message . But for me saving 3 other threads before having to do other real life things is .

Spend the thirty seconds man. And if you by "I don't have enough time" actually mean "I can't be feckin' bothered to", again, you need to re-evaluate why you are a mod to begin with.

When I have the time to do so then I will .

Threads are locked . Posts are deleted . Should I delete posts and then post why said posts were deleted ?

Would it make u feel better if instead of locking the thread we just deleted the thread ? That way you who was new to the locked thread wont ever wonder why it was locked ?

As I sid wasting time posting why something is locked takes time away from preventing troll posts or me getting to something i need to be at . I don't need to provide an explanation . If i have time I will . Which is what I promised to do . I promised I would try and sometimes I do sometimes I don't .

I'm sure the same goes for the other mods in the console forum .

I don't see why this is so hard for you to understand. People want to know why topics are getting locked and as I already stated, if it's too much for you to explain this, DON'T BE A MOD.

It's not beneath you to explain why you do something, if that's what you're thinking. You're not god, or the king of spain or somesuch. In reality you're what amounts to a meter-maid, and they have to explain their actions too you know.

It's a give and take relationship, if you live up to the commitment you and sonic made a couple months ago, the complaining about locked threads will go away. If you persist in being a bitch on this point and act as if you're too good to explain yourself, then people will keep bitching back at you.

Like I said, it's not too much to ask to write one goshdarned sentence explaining why a thread got locked, particulary when you yourself committed to doing just that not very long ago.

If you really don't have the time and aren't willing to commit to do your job properly just friggin resign already and let someone else take over; it'd be better for the forum in the long run unless you shape up man.

Thanks.

Guden Oden said:
I don't see why this is so hard for you to understand. People want to know why topics are getting locked and as I already stated, if it's too much for you to explain this, DON'T BE A MOD.

It's not beneath you to explain why you do something, if that's what you're thinking. You're not god, or the king of spain or somesuch. In reality you're what amounts to a meter-maid, and they have to explain their actions too you know.

Mmm not really. A mod's job is to make sure that the boards a clean. Their job is to make sure that the stupid gits on here respect the agreement they have agreed to when signing up to this site. It's the gits that have to respect the agreement, not the mod's job to keep reminding them, which they still do anyway.
You can't expect them to keep repeating the same thing over and over again, when the gits should have read the agreement before posting and should know what to and what not to post.
The mods are not bound to explain themselves, it's the users who are bound to the agreement.

Guden - you make it sound that hundreds of forum users have no idea why threads get locked and deleted, when in reality it is only a handful of cases. I've locked and binned threads without explanation too, so why only direct your anger towards jvd and Sonic?

What you don't seem to get is if a thread is locked there is a reason . It doesn't matter if you don't know the reason. As long as the mods do and the problem is stoped .

The only people i need to give reasons to are the other mods if they don't agree with the post getting locked .

Except i'm not a meter maid and nothing in my job disciption says i have to tell you why a thread is locked .

I'm like a garabage man , I take out the garabage . I don't ring your door bell and tell you i'm taking it and tell you why i'm taking it .

It's a give and take relationship, if you live up to the commitment you and sonic made a couple months ago, the complaining about locked threads will go away. If you persist in being a bitch on this point and act as if you're too good to explain yourself, then people will keep bitching back at you.
I never made any commitment because i thought it was a stupid idea . I said i would try and thats it .

If you really want to call me names them mabye the real point is that you want to flame and troll too nad see that there just isn't the tolerance there once was and now you don't know what you can or cant' get away with .

Like I said, it's not too much to ask to write one goshdarned sentence explaining why a thread got locked, particulary when you yourself committed to doing just that not very long ago.
Once again i never once committed to doing it .

If you really don't have the time and aren't willing to commit to do your job properly just friggin resign already and let someone else take over; it'd be better for the forum in the long run unless you shape up man.

I've done my job properly . I've kept the flames down to a minimum . If you need your hand to be held and a mommy to wipe your ass after u use the toliet then perhaps this isn't hte place for you . Those aren't my jobs here . My job is to keep the flaming down and to lock or delete offensive and trolling posts .

Perhaps once you understand that the bitching will stop .

london-boy said:
Guden Oden said:

Mmm not really. A mod's job is to make sure that the boards a clean. Their job is to make sure that the stupid gits on here respect the agreement they have agreed to when signing up to this site. It's the gits that have to respect the agreement, not the mod's job to keep reminding them, which they still do anyway.
You can't expect them to keep repeating the same thing over and over again, when the gits should have read the agreement before posting and should know what to and what not to post.
The mods are not bound to explain themselves, it's the users who are bound to the agreement.

If you don't state in the thread why something got locked, nobody will see what they did wrong and it will continue to happen. It doesn't take rocket science to figure this out.

Hardknock said:
If you don't state in the thread why something got locked, nobody will see what they did wrong and it will continue to happen. It doesn't take rocket science to figure this out.

you should know how to post by the way most other old poster do, and from the agreement you sign before entering the site.
It doesn't take rocket science to figure this out.
Nor it takes rocket science to figure out that the very few mods we have have no time to state the reasons why they lock the threads, especailly when 99% of the time it is so obvious.

Really simple, it's usually because of trolling or because of repeating information. It's not like they lock threads because they have nothing better to do.

london-boy said:
Hardknock said:

you should know how to post by the way most other old poster do, and from the agreement you sign before entering the site.
It doesn't take rocket science to figure this out.
Nor it takes rocket science to figure out that the very few mods we have have no time to state the reasons why they lock the threads, especailly when 99% of the time it is so obvious.

Really simple, it's usually because of trolling or because of repeating information. It's not like they lock threads because they have nothing better to do.

LB, you've been warned for trolling several times...did you ever realise that you were doing this until warned by mods? I don't think so...

What's obvious to some may not be to others...

When someone is trolling the first time I edit thier post with a warning
like this recent thread http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24993&start=60

after that i delete the thread in question and tell them in pm .

If a thread is locked something is wrong . Thus its locking . That alone tells you that it was closed because it didn't meet the guide line of the site . Thats it . No more reason needed . You read the guidelines when u signedu p

I'm not going to repeat what's been said several times in this thread already, but I'm leaving with this,

sonic said:

Thank you for the feedback everyone. When we lock threads from now on we will explain why we did it and give a reason. We will try to pm the author before the thread is locked and if anyone else feels that it is unfairly locked then please pm me or jvd explaining why. We will look at it and consider unlocking it.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=460848#460848

Right notice how Sonic says try .

Not only that but its sonic , not I who said this .

So once again it has nothing to do with me .

jvd said:
Right notice how Sonic says try .

Not only that but its sonic , not I who said this .

So once again it has nothing to do with me .

You should've made your objections known in that thread then.

Sorry but this is a team effort.

No sorry . Sonic has nothing to do with me .

If he promises something its for him only . He cant promise that I will do anything .

He is not my wife .

Back