Anyone think the console forum is too heavily moderated?

I mean I agree with mods tossing out a warning if things get too heating.

But it seems like every other thread on that board is locked because the topic has been discussed before. i.e. like the David Kirk interview which was just released today.
In addition to old information, He brings up some interesting points that HAVENT been discussed yet like predictable shader performance.

Yet the thread has been locked before the discussion gets off the ground.
The result is there are often no worthwhile discussions on the front page.

I mean really, if the threads are that uninteresting to people, let it die by itself. :?

The console forums have been a bit of a bone of contention on this site for a while now. A couple of weeks/months ago everyone was clamoring for more/stricter modertation of it.

Last time things got ugly about the console forum Dave just closed it for a week or two.

I didn't mean anything personal or nasty, I was actually impressed you posted feedback in the right forum....most of these get posted in the console forum for some reason. ;)

About the fact that some redudant topics are getting close despise that they contain new discussion materials.
Just start a new thread about this new subject, quoting the last points made in the closed thread, if necessary.

Threads get locked because they either go way off topic, have been discussed before, or there is no real discussion there in general. We've tried lenient moderation in the past and it was not pretty. The forum used to have a quality of discussion that was decent without too much arguing and name calling. With things the way they are strict moderation is needed.

As with all things , the few ruin things for the majority . With a bit of a heavy hand right now we will show those who wish to flame that this isn't the place and when they see they can't troll and flame they will move on . Or they will be banned

I've noticed I think one thread get closed off due to 'detrcators' where I wanted to add to the discussion this morning. I rate that as a bit of a pain, but worth it in the long run. Certainly no majorly important threads are being cut off prematurely and I much prefer too much to too little modding at the moment.

i was bored and went over to the console forum, something i rarely do (not a big console fan). Anyways, after reading a few threads, i just got to say that the mods there are doing a fantastic job.

Keep it up, and thanks for the effort.

epic
ps i think the ban stick should be used more frequently to those who are very persistant in flaming/trolling/generally being asses.

As i said on other threads, it's only fair for the mods to keep things clean. The blind trolls just won't get it that they need to post properly, this is not IGN, and they think they can just come in here and post crap all over the forum.

And even when they get their posts deleted and their threads locked, they keep doing it!!

And the worst thing is a newbie whose first post is a new thread with a "X360 architecture overview" article......... i mean, after all the information we have on the forum already... So irritating!

It's like they feel the need to come to the serious forum when they're bored of the trolls at the IGN forums, looking for real technical information, and instead of searching first, they open new threads on things that have been discussed here months ago by people "in the know"...

Beyond3D is linked to by sites looking to sound educated. I guess it attracts attention from people who don't even read the site, just arrive and post. (?)

Shifty Geezer said:
Beyond3D is linked to by sites looking to sound educated. I guess it attracts attention from people who don't even read the site, just arrive and post. (?)

As a "serious technical forum" there should be a limit on new members who just sign up, open a thread, crap all over the old ones and leave. We already have enough old members that do that.

That's why I suggested an open public forum and an invitation only forum. Invitation only would elliminate that problem entirely and provide a useful unpolluted resource for sites to spuriously reference! Not possible though :( .

london-boy said:
I think we should have a forum for members with more than 10k posts. :LOL: Not even Dave would get in!
hehe, thats pretty exclusive with only 4 members. Although with digi your pretty covered with over the top posts, so your problem hasnt been solved. ;)

Which forum is the most out of control?
PR&S or Console.

Neeyik believes the PR&S forum is getting worse by the week.
I don't know where he gets that from considering everytime people talk about P&R arguments get emotional.

Political forum is not really moderated. And to really moderate the console forum you need a full time job. Wonder what it will be during launch periods :)

K.I.L.E.R said:
Neeyik believes the PR&S forum is getting worse by the week.
Leave the PR&S forum out of this discussion please, we're discussing the console forum here. (SHUT UP KRUNO!!!!! *eeep* )

london-boy said:
As a "serious technical forum" there should be a limit on new members who just sign up, open a thread, crap all over the old ones and leave. We already have enough old members that do that.
B3D is a serious forum? Oh crap. :?

While I admit the console forum needs a really firm hand with all the new blood (or crap) that has signed up since the month or so before e3, sometimes I am really stumped as to why a particular thread was locked. Such as the case with this one for example:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25035

It was interesting and informative with no flaming or anything and just bam. Locked.

I know I remember sonic and jvd promised to give explanations to why they lock a thread not THAT long ago, but they never really committed to that promise. They wouldn't have to write a whole shakespeare theatre play about it, just a couple lines explaining. This locking with no reason given however REALLY has to stop. Not at least because it's frustrating and aggravating for the topic starters when they try to get a nice discussion going and then there's a lock on the thread all of a sudden without any flaming or anything, and no reason given.

o_O

t was interesting and informative with no flaming or anything and just bam. Locked.
It was a rumor thread which is not very informative though it may be interesting .

It was locked becasue as you can see from the few less brash posts left there was posts calling into question certian posters and even when deleted and told in pm not to do it , they kept reposting .

I know I remember sonic and jvd promised to give explanations to why....
At work I only have one real chunk of time where I can do more than read / lock / delete and thats my lunch break also . Otherwise some posts may be locked where I feel its obvious as to why its locked and i believe the time is better spent reading the other 18 new threads or threads with responses than typing up a " attacking this member constantly and this member posting nonsense " or similar .

Back