Anyone seen any great deals on drives lately?

Discussion in 'PC Purchasing Help' started by digitalwanderer, May 15, 2019.

1. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

My son wants a new drive for his BD in about a week so I figured it's time to start looking. Haven't decided on SSD or HDD or both yet, his system has an M2 in it with a HDD already but moar is always betterer. :)

Figured I'd just post up and ask, y'all got a lot more eyeballs than me and see a lot of stuff I don't. Any great deals out there or new tech I should be looking for?

2. Davros

Legend

3. Pressure

Veteran Regular

I feel like the Intel 660p is a great bargain for normal users with 2TB going for $185.

digitalwanderer likes this.
  4. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

birthday

digitalwanderer likes this.
  5. Davros

Legend

WRT the 660p this seems worrying
    The 660p’s endurance is (on average) 33 percent lower than other PCIe based SSDs and roughly half that of budget SATA SSDs.

6. Pressure

Veteran Regular

Yes, it doesn't matter for the average user. Especially not with the 2TB version as it will have much more SLC cache. It is rated for daily 400TB. At half full it will still have 152GB of SLC cache.

nutball and BRiT like this.
  7. manux

Veteran Regular

I bought 660p 2TB and it's great for my purposes. Basically I use it only for game installations and nothing else. Very little writing, a lot of reading. I doubt that writes will ever be problem for me either from endurance or performance pov. Os/saves/download temp/... is in another ssd that handles writes better.

8. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Recently got a couple 10 TB HDDs for 179.99 USD each. While I love SSDs and they have come down quite a bit in price recently, they still aren't nearly as cost effective for mass storage which I still have need of.

These were the WD Elements external drives from Newegg. I just removed the drives from the external enclosure so I could put them into my home server.

Regards,
    SB

manux and BRiT like this.
  9. Pressure

Veteran Regular

But the noise! My computer's average sound pressure level is far more agreeable with only SSDs compared to old spinners.