Anyone remember this WWII shooter on proprietary tech from 2006-ish?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by inlimbo, Mar 14, 2021.

1. inlimbo

Newcomer

I don't know that it ever came out. For all I know it was a funding scam. But I have really clear memories of some independent European developer showing off a proprietary engine of really impressive technology and using it to showcase some WWII shooter they were building focusing on the African campaigns. They seemed to regularly drop footage of tech demos from 2005-2007, iirc, and then kind of disappeared.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? I'd like to dig up that footage for curiosity's sake but I can't remember the name of the game or their engine at this point.

2. inlimbo

Newcomer

In trying to google this I'm starting to doubt my recollection of this as WWII shooter. Maybe it was something more contemporary. In any case it seemed after a certain kind of verisimilitude in some kind of campaign in North Africa.

3. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

Was it more historically accurate or did it have fantasy or scifi elements in it? My initial thought was something like Iron Storm or Bet On Soldier, but those are alternate history games that don't even take place in Africa. It's tough, because that was a really active time for European games. You had People Can Fly starting out, Action Forms making bonkers stuff back then, Techland hitting their stride and really trying to push their engine. 4D Rulers, not sure if they are European or not, but they made Gore and shopped their engine around pretty hard back then. Crytech, Croteam, GSC Game World and a ton of smaller studios were churning out stuff back then, and sometimes they would release demos for things that would be repackaged into a totally different project. Crytech's dinosaur island demo famously became Farcry. What you are remembering might have been a tech demo that was just that. Actually, Farcry 2 would have been demoed back in 06 or 07, takes place in Africa and they were really tech focused showing off all the simulation aspects of the engine. But it wasn't developed in Europe.

4. Davros

Legend

It wasnt Terrorist Takedown: Conflict In Mogadishu was it ?
    edit: WW2 Doh....

#4 Davros, Apr 12, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  5. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran