Anyone know anything about this Maxtor hard drive?

ZoinKs!

Regular
Maxtor L01Y300 300GB PATA

I'm out of hard drive space and nwn2 is out next week so it's time for more storage. My mobo doesn't support SATA and I don't want to bother with an adapter so I'm sticking with PATA.

This caught my eye because it's at such a low price at Frys. I've found it for sale at other sites but typically for $130+. I'm a bit leery because Maxtor has acquired a poor reputation for reliability.

I've looked for reviews about the drive in the link and haven't found any at all. If anyone can find some reviews or has experience with this model (regarding performance, reliability, and noise), please let me know.

I have many Maxtor's with no problems, though lately I've been buying Seagates for some reason. Pretty sure I installed the SATA version of that drive about 2 years ago and that's still running fine.

I think "bad reputations" can be found for most any hard drive. I personally had most of my HD crashes with Western Digital Caviars, but that doesn't stop me from buying them.

Dont know about that exact model, but I've had terrible misfortunes with them dieing without warning just a month outside their warranty (1 year on these units). I've had great fortunes with Seagates and Western Digitals. All drives were purchased at the same time and see similar work-loads.

This thread just became moot. :p

The Maxtor doesn't get free shipping anymore, which adds $7-8 to the price. But they have a 250 gB Seagate retail kit on sale for $69.99 w/ free shipping and 5 year warranty.

I'm not sure exactly which drive model is in the retail box but I think it's a 7200.8. I've been very happy with my 7200.7 160gB and hope this drive will be good, too.

I'd personally search Newegg. Its not hard at all to get a PATA drive for under $100 that is as large as 320GB.

I personally do not trust Maxtor, and I have my issues with WD also. I typically buy Seagate, I've had the fewest of their drives fail on me and the best of luck getting those RMA'd that did fail.

I'll second Newegg.

Also, what I've found is drives with 1 yr warranties from all the manufacturers seem to be more prone to failure. 3 yr + warranties seem to do great from any of them. YMMV.
Right now my home machine is running a Maxtor 7L300S0 300 GB and a Seagate 33200620AS (320 7200.9). The Maxtor's been running great for over a year but I back it up to the seagate at 3 AM every night :)

The Seagate is faster but I'm too lazy to swap my default drive...although Linux boots off the Seagate.

Woah... the drive shipped already. :oops:

Maxtor has a really wierd thing going on with their drives: oem have a 3 year warranty but retail kits are only 1 year. I don't get it.

I'd looked at newegg for drives but this sale at Frys more closely matches what I need atm. Newegg had a 320 gB Seagate perpendicular drive for ~$95. I would've got that if I didn't want to keep costs as low as possible without getting junk.

When Frys.com first opened, they had a 400 gb drive for $99. I should've splurged on it when I had the chance.

Also, what I've found is drives with 1 yr warranties from all the manufacturers seem to be more prone to failure. 3 yr + warranties seem to do great from any of them.

That's exactly what I've found as well. Avoid the drive with 1-year only warranty. They tended to break down just a month outside of it.

Fry/Outpost currently has a 500G PATA Maxtor for $159. Not sure on warranty periods etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back