Anyone here golf? I just went driving...used a 5 iron...

suryad

Veteran
...was quite fun. I dont know anything about golf. My dad went with me and he took me to the driving range. Hit a few 150 yarders...now my back is sore as hell...any good links to what each golf club does and a pictorial description of it as well? I would like to learn more so next time I go I dont sound like a total moron trying to rent the golf club.

suryad said:
any good links to what each golf club does
As a beginner, all you need to know about each club is that they give you different distances (the shorter irons = shorter distance). Once you can hit a ball straight (or where you want the ball to go), then you'll want to know what you can do with eah club for each circumstance (use a 2-iron while in a decent lie in the bunker, or use the driver when you're just off the green). It's not as simple as you seem to think it is :)

I quit golf (no time) when I was a 17-handicapper.

Ok what is a 17 handicapper? I dont think it is easy.....my back can attest to that. I rented one club and it is free to rent....just pay 6 bucks and get 68 balls to smash around...very gratifying. I could have rented a whole bunch but I was just driving...not playing the actual game.

Thanks I will check out the wiki...dont want to buy the game.....yet!

suryad said:
Ok what is a 17 handicapper?
17 over par is his 'average'....Par being 72 hits to complete a course of 18 holes (generally). The lower the handicap, the closer to par, the better the player.

17 handicap is pretty good. My sister and her husband play quite a bit and they're below 10.

Anyone who plays golf (and likes it) ought to be shot in the ass with a barrel-load of rock salt. If they ever do it again, replace rock salt with large steel ball bearings. If they wear that stupid golf fashion attire, load gun with ball bearing shells first time.

That's my opinion of golf.

Sounds like someone had a bad experience :)

Tip for beginners: spend a summer at the driving range before paying 9 holes. The management and regular players don't have much patience for people who hit the 10 stroke limit on every hole before they get to the green. Typically you'll get a warning before they ask you to leave, but if you get to that point it's probably better to leave on your own (out of courtesy to the people behind you).

Play the municipal or college courses in the evening. Its cheaper, and I've never been hassled about how badly I'm playing.

Crusher said:
Sounds like someone had a bad experience :)
Not really. And I jest of course.

I do dislike the "sport" though for many reasons, not only because the top players compete in amount of money won over the course of the season, which is completely spitting in the face of the majority of the world's population who have to live for a month or more on what these people spend on ONE of a pair of gloves.

There's also many an atrocity committed against people living in poorer/less democratic nations where some rich people want to build a golf course. In Thailand for example, one particular small village that was levelled last christmas was built at a spot where there previously was a mine that went bust. So the villagers became fishermen instead. Then the tourism industry boomed. And then the floodwave came.

The DAY AFTER, the old mining company moved in, put up fences and started turning away survivors who wanted to search for their families, and later started hiring thugs to harass and threaten surviving villagers (including threatening to murder them).

The reason? So they could build a bigass hotel and golf course and make tons of cash off of us tourists. Not the first time such things have happened.

Not to mention the snobbyism and elitism imbued in all that is associated with the "sport", with the country clubs and the memberships and all of that. Golf is a shitty "sport" fundamentally driven by purest greed.

Guden Oden said:
Anyone who plays golf (and likes it) ought to be shot in the ass with a barrel-load of rock salt. If they ever do it again, replace rock salt with large steel ball bearings. If they wear that stupid golf fashion attire, load gun with ball bearing shells first time.

That's my opinion of golf.
Have you actually tried it?

Guden Oden said:
Not to mention the snobbyism and elitism imbued in all that is associated with the "sport", with the country clubs and the memberships and all of that. Golf is a shitty "sport" fundamentally driven by purest greed.
Nonsense. "Golf" has nothing to do with any of that.

Guden Oden said:
Well, you are obviously against all this kind of stuff, but you should know that golf is no longer reserved for the elite (unfortunately...:p). These days you get all kinds of assholes on the golf course. It's as diverse as anything else.

It is off the golf course that the snobbery is worst. Those neuveau riche saying things like "pardon the weird tan line on my left hand...I WAS GOLFING." It can get really pathetic, but you don't need golf for this kind of thing.

I think Tiger Woods put an end to the snobbery image of golf. He is perceived more as an athlete than a playboy. He is also very robotic, but so was Nick Faldo before him and others as well. They play the game more like billiards and it can be quite fun to watch. It's also a good thing that Woods is not a caucasian. By being mixed Asian and African he not only took the "old git snob" out of the game, but also removed the "whites only" tag it has gotten from many of the old clubs (which was more about old fogeys sitting around drinking scotch and talking about duck hunting).

It's a really cool past-time and sport. I find it especially good because you can play it at your own pace like billiards, bowling, or chess. This means you have time to take it in, to philosophize about what you are doing and see deeper truths. You also discover a lot about yourself because that ball is perfectly still, the hole isn't moving, so the only blame can be on you. The universe is waiting. The pressure is high. Can you take it?

The most snobbery I've experienced was at a local chophouse. I think we were the only couple in there without a 6 figure income. Perhaps you should boycott beef? :)

(Note that we weren't being harassed at all, and no one was looking down at us, I just had that feeling that we were the odd couple in the "one of these things is not like the others" clientele)

suryad said:
...was quite fun. I dont know anything about golf. My dad went with me and he took me to the driving range. Hit a few 150 yarders...now my back is sore as hell...any good links to what each golf club does and a pictorial description of it as well? I would like to learn more so next time I go I dont sound like a total moron trying to rent the golf club.

You should try a 3-wood, a 4-iron, a 7-iron, and a pitiching wedge. These are the most satisfying clubs in the bag. Putters are the work of the devil, I tell you!

Seriously, next time you go, swing a 3-wood. Don't even think about the driver/1-wood unless you are gifted or want to become really frustrated with yourself. The feeling of a wood on a clean hit is orgasmic. A 3 or a 5 wood, giving more loft and backspin also gives the ball a satisfying whizz as it shoots off into the distance. Highly enjoyable.

Avoid the sand traps/bunkers until you have your swing figured out. Otherwise you will just be eating sand and who knows what's been done in that bunker.

Always remember, it's not the speed of the swing that matters most. Balance. Find your rythm to find your swing and in the immortal words of Ty Webb "be the ball....nanananananananaananaaaa" (Caddyshack)

I used to spend an absurd amount of time on the driving range, hitting bucket after bucket until my hands bled (you know, those aristocratic hands that have never seen a days hard work in their life...:p).

RussSchultz said:
Actually, avoid the sand traps/bunkers even after that.
Heh. Pointless, I'm afraid. Like water, sand is magnetic. This is where the ball wants to go.

I swear if someone leaves a full coctail glass on the fairway your ball will somehow find its way in there. That's the magic of golf.

PS. Golf clubs are only priced high to give you pause before snapping them over your knee. It is, indeed, a full contact sport.

The last bit of snobbery I had associated with golf went away when I started to see people going to the driving range by bicycle, with the golf clubs on the luggage carrier, and with a plastic bag to protect the club heads. :D

It might not be a sport that interest me, but it's quite de-snobbed nowadays.

suryad said:

You either using a bad form when you drive or the length of the club you're using wasn't suited to you. Your back shouldn't be sore from Golf. Your swing should be effortless, its all about hitting the sweetspot. Since you're a beginner, stick with 7-iron till you can drive a hundred balls without your back getting sore.

That said I don't understand what you or other people find fun in golf ? I never like Golf, not when I was a kid forced into taking golf lessons and not now when I am doing business. The only consolation I get from Golf is by making my snobbish opponent's (potential business partner more like it) day as misarable as possible by trashing them into oblivion, that he wouldn't ask me to ever golf again.

Back