Anyone have problems switching to Cuda 5.0?

Discussion in 'GPGPU Technology & Programming' started by Commenter, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Commenter

Newcomer

I have written a simple app that works fine in Cuda 4.2 but doesn't in 5.0. It's basically a raycasting program that copies data back and forth between gpu and host using cudamemcpy. Thinking about it, I wonder if there is a way to render an image directly from memory on the GPU as well?

#1 Commenter, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2013
  2. Dade

Newcomer

OpenCL has OpenCL/OpenGL and OpenCL/DX11 interoperability extensions for this kind problems. I'm pretty sure CUDA has something similar.

3. Commenter

Newcomer

Yeah, I've decided I'm going to convert to OpenCL when I have the time, so I'll look into it.

4. Xalion

Regular

CUDA also has an opengl interop. Basically, you register the buffer with CUDA, map it, and then return a pointer to it. That pointer can be used just like any other device array. You can then use the buffer as any of the buffer types (vertex buffer, color buffer, etc) and render from it directly.

There are a couple of examples in the SDK, or I have a few laying around if you want.

5. Commenter

Newcomer

I have found out about that. Would that work for DirectX as well? It shouldn't be too much trouble to rewrite using OpenGl though.

P.S. Yes, there is a DirectX interop as well.

#5 Commenter, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2013