Anyone have experience with KVMs in a server engironment?

Scott_Arm

Legend
I'm looking to get some kind of KVM solution at work. Right now we have a bunch of test beds that are running on HP desktop PCs, not real rack-mount servers. There are about 16 of them and right now they're all hooked up to a bunch of 4 port KVMs. I'd like to get something with 16 ports or more, that are able to be cascaded so we can have one station to manage all of the test beds. This project is going to keep growing and will most likely more than double over the next year or two. Do any of you have experience with a KVM solution that might be appropriate? There are a huge number of brands from a quick google search, and I'm not sure which ones are good.

I use Dell ds2161-2s, these are OEMd Avocent devices. It works pretty well, although dealing with 2 loosely interacting mouse cursors can sometimes be a bit of a pain.

Not quite as comfortable as a proper KVM built in to the servers, like Dell's DRAC or Sun's ILOM or what have you.

couldn't you use the serial console? I heard of multiplexing devices with RJ45 serial ports, and a good motherboard server should allow the use of serial console even in the BIOS.

of course that's good for using the linux or unix command line (or what you get before boot is finished) but not so much if you wish to run a windows server's GUI.

They aren't proper servers. Just small form factor HP PCs running Windows XP. Each one has a specialized testing app that's a Windows program, so I can't switch operating systems. I need a proper KVM solution, unfortunately. I'll take a look at the Avocent/Dell stuff.

Have any of you used KVM over IP? Just wondering how bad/slow the interface is.

They aren't proper servers. Just small form factor HP PCs running Windows XP. Each one has a specialized testing app that's a Windows program, so I can't switch operating systems. I need a proper KVM solution, unfortunately. I'll take a look at the Avocent/Dell stuff.

Have any of you used KVM over IP? Just wondering how bad/slow the interface is.

Yeah the Dell/Avocent stuff is actually KVM over IP. I misread, it hadn't occurred to me you might've been looking for a regular KVM. Keep in mind that KVM over IP is a lot more expensive class of device.

The image quality is quite usable but like I said the mouse takes getting used to. It's fast though and it'll allow you to do anything you could do from a local console. Which includes entering the BIOS etc.

Yeah the Dell/Avocent stuff is actually KVM over IP. I misread, it hadn't occurred to me you might've been looking for a regular KVM. Keep in mind that KVM over IP is a lot more expensive class of device.

The image quality is quite usable but like I said the mouse takes getting used to. It's fast though and it'll allow you to do anything you could do from a local console. Which includes entering the BIOS etc.

Yeah, I was looking at some of the analog KVMs that operate over CAT5. They use the same type of adapter/dongle at the PC/server end.

Back