Anyone have an update on PowerVR and Kyro III or IV?

There are people on this board that has info. But they are not telling. Bastards.

Given nVidias lackluster FX series, and that ATI has largely stood still in terms of performance for a year, and looks set to continue to do so for some time, there would appear to be a window of opportunity for a new player.

But for real info, your best bet is probably to ply Kristof Beets with spiked beers down at the local pub until he is thoroughly soaked, cart him off to home and shoot a seriously incriminating video, and threaten to send it to his mum unless he tells all he knows. Hell, I'd pay for half of the beers! And the video tape. I'll even help film the two of you and the donkey if need be.

Because the silence is getting progressively more suggestive of another design gathering mould in an ImgTec filing cabinet.

Entropy

You know what I fear most? That they might have 'missed' the window.

What I mean by that is that unless they release in the next *4* months, they missed it.
The NV40 and R420 are not "small" performance upgrades, oh no!

Although IIRC, Series 5 is mid-end. And mid-end will only get revamped in like 9 months. But if PowerVR doesn't want to remain in the dark for their new product they better act quick - and well.

Because at soon as we hit NV50, unless they got a bigger budget thanks to other products working really well, they lost the desktop game IMO. I just don't see how they could follow the "big ones" anymore... Although I could be wrong, obviously, and I certainly hope so considering competition is healthy!

Uttar

My take would be that they better release it before christmas, with announcement and press samples available before R400 and NV40.

But if things goes like this year with the NV30 for ATI and nVidia, they can be a few months late ;)

Entropy said:
There are people on this board that has info. But they are not telling. Bastards.

Given nVidias lackluster FX series, and that ATI has largely stood still in terms of performance for a year, and looks set to continue to do so for some time, there would appear to be a window of opportunity for a new player.

But for real info, your best bet is probably to ply Kristof Beets with spiked beers down at the local pub until he is thoroughly soaked, cart him off to home and shoot a seriously incriminating video, and threaten to send it to his mum unless he tells all he knows. Hell, I'd pay for half of the beers! And the video tape. I'll even help film the two of you and the donkey if need be.

Because the silence is getting progressively more suggestive of another design gathering mould in an ImgTec filing cabinet.

Entropy

:LOL:

Well, my own research into the matter (30 secs at the ImgTec site), turned this up:
A number of positions are available within our software development teams. All offer the chance to work with some of the most innovative hardware in the industry, and include the opportunity to provide direct input to hardware and API features. Positions cover a wide range operating systems including Win9x, Win2K, WinCE, Linux and EPOC and on platforms such as PC, Arcade, Set-top Box and Mobile. The positions currently available include:

Design Engineer (PDL01)

3D Driver Engineer (JWH07)

Simulator Development Engineer (ERF03)

Hardware Design Engineers - ASICs (MA010)
Where the 3DDriver Engineer text was completely geared towards the Windows platform.

So there are signs of life, which is gratifying. However it's impossible to say really whether this indicates that they are increasing their resources, or whether their engineering staff, like disgruntled lemmings, have all flung themselves off a cliff in frustration over never seeing their work come to fruition and this is a desperate attempt to replace some of them.

Regardless, this is an opportunity for infiltration. There are a lot of talented people on these boards, it should be possible to plant a mole through one of these positions. Our current information deprived state is insufferable.

Entropy

Kristoff. Come over i will hook u up with sex , drugs and um liquer.... (and no the sex is not from me , a whole campus full of women that owe me favors )

jvd said:
Kristoff. Come over i will hook u up with sex , drugs and um liquer.... (and no the sex is not from me , a whole campus full of women that owe me favors )

:LOL: :oops: :rolleyes: :devilish:

Kristof said:
jvd said:
Kristoff.... (and no the sex is not from me , a whole campus full of women that owe me favors )

Damn... how dissapointing... you spelled my name wrong ! 8)

doh . Hahah .

Btw I have a ton of female friends and I've spent many a day fixing pcs for them and thier connection back in freshman sophmore year of school.... Ah memorys ...

One thing I'm wondering is how imgtech finances all those unused chip designs if they don't friggin release anything to market? Last time I checked, you don't earn any royalties without sales...

I mean, kyro2 se hardly even made an appearance on the market, and it was AGES ago since original kyro2 appeared.

If it's the speakers and multimedia section that keeps the chip development side of the company afloat, how long til the axe falls?

*G*

Well, I expect that they have quite a few licencees for their technology and I'd guess that they get paid for this, even before chips are released using their technology. Then they would get royalties depending on the amount of chips sold by their partners.

I think that's the way it works, anyway. :)

But the license for - say - PowerVR4 to uh, whatstheirname that put out Kyro, it's not as big as the entire design cost of the product, I should think. It would be an awfully expensive license, I don't see how anyone would go along with that. So you license PowerVR4 and get some money back but will rely on royalties to actually make up the rest of the costs + earn some profit, and then no chips gets manufactured, no chips sold, and no royalties. I don't see how the situation can be anything other than one giant financial kick in the nuts.

*G*

Back