Anyone bought doc of MGS2?

yoyomama

Newcomer
Hi,
I recently just got a ps2 as a birthday gift from my girl friend. The only game that I picked up so far is MGS2 and the Documentation of MGS2. Prior to the ps2, the cube is all that got. I heard all the talk about the cube being more "powerfull" than the ps, and personally owned the cube for such a long time since launch, but after finishing MGS2, I really have to say that I'm really impressed with the ps2. The environments seemed really detailed, no jaggies on characters, art direction is superb. I am just amazed at what Konami was able to do with the ps2 hearing that its such a monster to program for. Anyways, if any of you have a chance, go rent the doc of MGS2, the really impressive thing in it is that you can view all the cut scenes (yes, they are real-time!!) and change the camera angles. It was the most impressive to view the intro of the bridge with the cars and just pause it to view the cool effects of from the car's lights in the rain.

By the way, i think MGS2 will never be ported to the cube cause the controller would not fit MGS2 implementation of the pressure sensitive buttons. That's my opinion on why the cube did not get a MGS2 port.

Gamespot's impression says that Substance on Xbox suffers from major slowdown during the tanker chapter. Maybe the port wasn't executed efficiently to take advantage of the box's capabilities? What do you guys think?

I have the document disc. It has to be the most entertaining doc disk I ever came across. Excellent stuff there. Have you tried pausing the cut scenes in it and rotating the camera around? You can also pause the scene, and manually progress through it by swirling the right analog stick around, like if you are manualy forwarding ;)

I also find MGS2 graphics to be extremely impressive in both art direction and technical accomplishment - the rain effect and the underwater scenes are still jaw dropping evey time I see them.

By the way, i think MGS2 will never be ported to the cube cause the controller would not fit MGS2 implementation of the pressure sensitive buttons. That's my opinion on why the cube did not get a MGS2 port.

GC didn't get a MGS2 port because Konami said the target audience of the game doesn't match that of the console. That was what they said. I don't think it has anything to do with analog buttons. Does Xbox have pressure sensitive buttons?

All of the buttons except the thumbsticks.

Anyway, pressure sensitive buttons wasn't the real reason. It was the target audience differences.

Thanks for the info Qroach. I think M$ should make people aware of that feature because I went to their Xbox site and it said the controller only had 2 pressure sensitive thumb buttons :-?

Marconelly, yeah..i've being pausing the cut scenes and moving the camera around alot....., but i didn't know that you could forward the scene by moving the right analog though..,thanks for the info..... Have to say it again, everything I watch these cut-scenes I'm really impressed on what Konami and ps2 is able to achieve.

As for my reason of cube not getting MGS2. I don't know if you guys -Qoarch, zurich, and pc-engine have played this game; but I use to think that way too, that cube is not getting it because of the demographic reason.

The reason that I pointed this out is because MGS2 do really use the pressure sentive feature alot in the game. In fact, when you use your gun, you aim by pressing the button. You then release it to fire, but you can cancel fire if you just press it lightly and finally releasing the button. This is extremely important when you aim. For instance, you press the button to pull out your gun to aim, but you decided not to fire, so you release the button. If you have a cube, this will cause you to fire, but with ps2 or box, you just release the button lightly and you won't fire.

More important, if you use automatics, you aim by pressing the button, and fire if you press harder on the button. This can not be done on the cube.

These are just a few examples of the implementations and I hope I explained it well. If you did played MGS2 and disagree with me, that's fine. If you didn't, I suggest you go rent it and you might know what I'm trying to say. Of course Konami can change the controls around, but I doubt it will be as stream-line and easy to use as the set up now. It will ruin the flow of the controls in my opinion.

More important, if you use automatics, you aim by pressing the button, and fire if you press harder on the button. This can not be done on the cube.

Actually the GC's analog clicking shoulder buttons would work fine

I always just figured that N was getting left out because Kojima-san has an axe to grind with them.

Sure, they may be getting a GBA game, but the ROI (return on investment) on that is insane.

Who knows, maybe the ported code was too Xbox-specific to make it feasible to recomplile for GC.

Either way... well... you all know how _I_ feel about N ;)

The Gamecube controller is seriously one of the worst I've ever used. What do they think it is, 1997?

The ROI for the GBA game should be incredible.

As far as pausing the game and moving the stick around..hmm does'nt SSBM do that?

Mech, you forgot to use the 'rolling eyes' after your sarcastic statement..so here's some for you :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Actually the GC's analog clicking shoulder buttons would work fine

Yes, but MGS2 also uses analog features of few other buttons, and also pretty much uses every button available on PS2 controller. It would definitely be a problem to port it the way it is and they would have to rework the controls seriously.

PC-Engine said:

GC didn't get a MGS2 port because Konami said the target audience of the game doesn't match that of the console. That was what they said. I don't think it has anything to do with analog buttons. Does Xbox have pressure sensitive buttons?

...which is funny because BMX XXX is censored on PS2 but not on GCN. :LOL:

Every single button on the PS2 controller is pressure-sensitive? (like the GCN shoulder buttons)

Wow, I didn't know that.

Personally, I don't care much for the type of pressure-sensitive buttons we got on PS2 and XB; it's *horrible* ergonomics! Can you say "carpal tunnel syndrome"?

Controllers f*ck enough with our hands as it is...

*G*

Thanks Marconelly, I think you said it the best.

PC-Engine, just suggest you go rent the game if you happen to own a ps2 or xbox. Like Marconelly said, you actually use up all the ps2 buttons including the four shoulder buttons. The set up works flawlessly and is really easy to use. Now with the gc controller, I just don't think it's possible to map everything on it and still able to control with ease.

Goldni, yeah, SSBM does do that. The impressive thing is that the MGS2 cut scenes are so much more technically impressive. It is in fact the first "wow" that I got from this generation. I don't remember getting any of those with games on my GC. I though that Eternal Darkness had some cool facial mapping, but the facial expressions and features on the MGS2 characters are just so much better and life like. I actually didn't believe that some scenes are real time when I played the game, but only knew after getting the documentation and toying with them.

I like the cube, got it before this ps2 and during lauch also. But after playing MGS2 I realized that the cube controller does have it's limitations with ports. It will do well with Nintendo games and it has superb egronomics but it just won't handle some games, in this case MGS2.

yoyomama, proof that the cut scenes are realtime in the actual game is very simple. During the cut scene in the game, just press the R1 button on the controller, and it will zoom in to the scene (no pixelation or detail loss, of course) The stronger you press it, the more it zooms. After the zoom in, you can use right analog stick to move the camera a little in all directions :)

Back