Any word on Catalyst 12.3?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Grall, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

It's now rather late in the month, didn't they use to release drivers around mid-month...?

2. Davros

Legend

3. Broken Hope

Regular

That's just a bug with the 12.2 drivers.

I really hope they are out soon and they fix the display corruption in WoW when AA is turned on, how they can mess up a game that over 10 million people play I don't know.

AMD drivers are just getting worse each release.

Looks like they are late though.

http://twitter.com/#!/CatalystCreator/status/174981718158221313

4. eastmen

Legend

I certianly think AMD needs to switch from a monthly to a bi monthly or even a 3 month release schedual. It would also help if they increase the size of the driver team

5. Malo

Malo YakTribe Gaming
    Veteran Subscriber

AMD drivers seem to be having a lot of issues with post-processing lately. My wife has a Barts and the last 3 games she's played have all had issues unless some kind of post-processing filter has been turned off. She loaded up a certain MMO sequel beta last night, that has guilds in it, and had to turn off DoF otherwise all you would get would be the GUI. The same happened on Amalur and Stacking seems display see-through geometry everywhere.

She's not impressed and most likely I'll be getting her an Nvidia next just so she doesn't have to fuck around with driver problems constantly.

6. Davros

Legend

Bob could do with an assistant

7. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

8. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Thanks BZB, I knew about the pre-release, but what's the point of installing that - which is an old version already by now - when the official (hopefully!) is so close around the corner... Well now that I think about it, I believe I'm on 11.12 hotfix 2 drivers still actually, so most anything is newer than what I got! :lol:

Latest patch of Skyrim is making random objects flicker, and there's texture flickering in Crysis 2 (especially in windows/doorways), so it certainly feels like I'm due for an update...

9. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

No the pre-release you referenced earlier is a 12.2 that is the same as the 12.2 WHQL that just has a mis-reported string of 12.3.

The one I linked to is actually a 12.3 released on 19th March with a higher version number (8.95.5-120224a-134185E-ATI)

10. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Sorry, but that wasn't me. :) I read about the march 19th pre-release you referred to on some internet news site earlier this month, dunno where, and decided I just wasn't interested as I figured the genuine release version had to be due any day. Yet here we are with march almost over (three days to go), and still no "gold disc" version... Pretty disheartening.

Again I can't help thinking ATI needs to drop these ridiculous monthly releases. They obviously can't coordinate both forks of their source, or even keep up with their own schedule. It's only shooting themselves in the foot when their system is making fixes pop in and out of different final and hotfix releases in a (to the customer) unpredictable and incomprehensible manner, since they don't inform anyone of how their bi-monthly + hotfix schedule works.

Adding to the confusion, when multiple fixes are required such as in the case of Rage this past winter, it just gets even worse. Result is a resounding all-around fail. Very bad.

11. Davros

Legend

fixes
    Windows 7
    - AMD Catalyst Control Center startup issues/delays have been resolved
    - Elder Scrolls: Skyrim : No longer displays flickering and texture corruption with Anti-Aliasing enabled
    - Alan Wake : A system crash is no longer experienced when running the game in DirectX 9 mode with Crossfire enabled.
    - Far Cry 2 : A random system hang is no longer experienced when running the game at high in game setting.
    - Tom Clancy HAWX : No longer crashes after task switching with MLAA (Morphological Anti-Aliasing) and Anti-Aliasing enabled.
    - Furmark Benchmark : No longer crashes when launched in High Performance mode.
    - Quake 4 : No longer display corruption after task switching when run in High Performance mode
    - XPlane : Textures no longer exhibit flicker and corruption.

theyve looked at quake 4 so have they fixed the texture bug swayee discovered ?

12. Lightman

Veteran

I'm going to find out tonight Davros :smile:

13. Broken Hope

Regular

The Skyrim fix also seems to have fixed WoW.

14. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

15. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

Cool, gonna grab this at home tonight...

16. Davros

Legend

So i installed these and while playing a game i got a Atikmpag.sys BSOD - nice...

17. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

What game was that?

18. Davros

Legend

The Darkness 2

19. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

And I got a general BSOD a couple hours ago while running Boinc with the Milkyway ATI-GPU accelerated project; I didn't see what piece of software exactly caused the crash, because lazy me has actually turned off bluescreens... It just reboots now, for convenience's sake.

It doesn't have to be the driver's fault, but it could concievably be. I've run Milkyway many, many hours without issues.

Btw Davros... How is The Darkness 2? :)