Any recommends on a wireless setup for the new house?

Yes, some people say it works great, but many complain they've returned the units multiple times, and they still don't work. (It's not the units that are faulty.)

Doesn't suck in their house, or doesn't suck in your house?
I'm pretty sure it'd suck in this house, it's 50 years old and the wiring is ancient...but our new house is 6 years old and has a sweet 200 amp service with room for an additional 100 amp already if we so desire upgrading down the road. I have a feeling it might work ok. ;)

Ask one of your friends if you can borrow some to try and see. It's the only way to find out. And turn on all the lights and other stuff when you do.

If it works well, it's pretty nice.

Mains power is distributed in 3 phases, if part of your house is connected with one of those, and another part with a different one, it won't work at all if you plug in a unit in both. (But this seems to be rare in the US.)
Coming from 2 generations of electricians, who have worked in both the UK and Australia, I've never heard of a domestic property having more than 1 phase supply. I'm not saying such a thing does not exist, but surely they must be very rare.

Just because the property has 1 phase supply doesn't mean it doesn't have multiple 1 phase circuits which are independently created from the underlying 3 phase distribution system. I've lived in a 6 room flat where sometimes half the rooms would lose power when 1 phase was lost.

Generally, in NW Europe (at least in the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany), most houses are connected with all three phases, for things like the oven, cooker, boiler and heating (in Germany). It's up to the electricians how they want to balance the load for the more mundane uses, like lighting and wall sockets.

Most often, a single phase is used for everything else, alternating the one used. But for larger (and industrial) buildings, they are alternated between the individual groups (as MfA said). It isn't all that uncommon to simply use a different phase for each fuse box, especially for large, freestanding homes.

Btw, I have been an electrician myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's a done deal. I'm at the new house, Comcast is coming out tomorrow to hook up my internet and is insisting I can't be online right now from this house even though I am. (I've kind of had an awful couple of 3 days with Comcast, but they're the only game in town now for internet for me unless I want to go back to DSL.)

Long/short, since I got the net working my son has been on me to hook him up...and since my PC is currently in the kitchen and my wife is the only one with internet I was sort of seeing his point of view. ;)

We stopped at Best Buy to pick up some new phones, and my wife told me to go ahead and get what I needed for the house...so I picked up 3 Netgear WNDA3100 USB thingies and a matching WNDR3300 router.

Haven't taken the router out of the box yet, I still ain't sure why the internet is working but I know enough not to fix what ain't broken...at least not until tomorrow when they come out here and it becomes all official. But the wireless adapters work ginger-peachy so far on me and my son's PC just using our WRT54G, so I'm feeling oodles more at home.

Did I do good or screw up? I figured a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and all that, and I THINK I got it right. It's all simultaneous dual-band stuff... :???:

Damn it, fucked up. Gotta return the Netgear 300 for the 600. :(

That's it, yes? Gotta get this one instead of the one I got?
The first one is only 100 Mb/s, that's not good. The one linked in your quote is decent, but almost twice the price of the D-Link DIR-655, for about the same performance. It does offer some additional features, but you're unlikely to ever use them. And the DIR-655 has better configurability.

I got the N600 WNDR3700. I actually got a N600 WNDR3400 by mistake again this morning, but I went back again to get the 3700 since I saw it was so much better.

Fuck the price, I got one I like. It can be flashed with WRT-DD so it should be pretty configurable, I'm sticking with it. Returning it twice already is enough for me. :oops:

Thanks for your input though Frank, I do appreciate it...as well as thanks to everyone else who helped me, thank you. I suck at networking and never would have gotten one half this nice without all your help. :)

It's a nice unit, and I'm happy I could be of help. :)

Edit: and it will be faster than the D-Link if you manage to get your Internet speeds over 300Mb/s :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Should have full service back today, I'll be installing it after that.

Just as an aside, when I was at Best Buy I did see the powernet stuff...but the BB sales dude and the Comcast lady there warned me off it because most of the homes around here have more than one circuit and I'd probably have been hosed. Thus why I chose wireless. (Didn't want the guys who recommended that to think I blew 'em off...I remembered and my thanks. :) )

Just got done ordering an Xbox 360 N adapter, sort of spaced that in the move.

The new network is working out exceptionally well, no complaints. My son can game online just fine even while I'm downloading torrents, it's all good. The N adapter for the 360 will allow us to stream stuff to it from our PCs, so the wife was pretty easy to talk into that.

Thanks again for all the help all, couldn't have done it nearly so well without all the input.

Dumb question, should my new wireless network be getting about 2.5Mb/s when it's less than 8' from my router? I don't think I got this set up right... :oops:

No cable running all over is sort of nice though, I'll give points for that. :yep2:

Undoubtedly, but if you run cables professionally to your computer and media locations you get great streaming and gaming without cable mess. Then you relegate wifi to handhelds and phones.
I think the minimum for HDTV streaming at 1080i is 28 Mb/s right?

Dumb question, should my new wireless network be getting about 2.5Mb/s when it's less than 8' from my router? I don't think I got this set up right... :oops:

Do you really mean Mb or MB?
2.5 Mb/s near your router is absurdly low. 2.5 MB/s (=20 Mb/s) isn't terrible for Wifi.
Are you running on the N band or G?

Back