Any recommends on a wireless setup for the new house?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
We'll be moving soon, so it's time to order the new network bits now. I want to set up the fastest/bestest wireless network I can, I'm assuming that's N now at about 300Mb/s?

What's a good router, what are good adapters? I'm clueless and starting to look at reviews just now. :oops:

This Asus doesn't look bad, nor this Buffalo...but I got a lot of looking to do I fear. I'm horribly out of date with wireless since I've had G so long.

Have you heard about Homeplug AV? This uses the electrical signal in your house to carry the network signal. This may be your best option if you're after installing the fastest network without drilling holes for CAT5 cable.

I've never heard of any good networking solutions using the house wiring. I know it's around, but back when it came out it didn't impress me. :(

The HomePlugAV version of the technology is supposed to achieve up to 200Mbps network speed, depending on the quality of your electrical wiring. I personally tried a slower version (85Mbps) and managed about 53Mbps according to the provided software. Very easy to install and use.
I tend to prefer cabled solution to wireless ones because signal quality can vary too much with wireless, and typically suffer more from lag spikes and other similar issues.

I'm going with wireless, the devil I know. ;)

Gonna be an N setup, trying for 300MB/s for all rigs. The Asus router looks tempting as hell spec-wise, but reading some reviews it sounds like the latest revision of the hardware might be a bit shoddy...anyone have one?

After a little more searching I've decided I want one with a print server and that can use USB HDDs, might as well shoot for the moon. :)

Well if you need to go wireless then your last proposition is very good.

I'm trying to avoid wireless for anything more serious than web-browsing and mail.

Just make sure you can return equipment back in case your house has thick concrete/steel walls. ;)

Just curious why you don't want to run cabling?
I have a simul dual n with cat 5 to both of my tv clusters and a second n acces point upstairs. Only my kitchen pc and mobiles use n. Consoles and media/gaming are all wired.

It was a pain to set-up, but I never got consistent HD streaming over wifi.

Just curious why you don't want to run cabling?
It's not a matter of want so much as not allowed to, my wife has imposed a few rules on the new house. The interior has the most gorgeous oak trim, I'm not allowed to drill holes in anything without permission. :(

But she did approve a pretty generous allowance to go wireless and get an entirely new setup for all 4 rigs, (and mebbe build a little 5th file server..), so I figure I should at least get it whilst the getting is good. ;)

I suggest you separate out your functionality into multiple devices. Get a router that routes well and runs alternate firmwares. Get wireless Access Points. Also get a printer with built in print-server functionality. NewEgg has some nice HP all-in-ones for $75 after MIR with built in networking.

This way in the future when you want to upgrade your wireless setup, you can still utilize the same great router and not have to worry about replacing it once again.

Dumb question, but how do access points work? Could I just buy a fast N access point for my current B/G router? Or do I need an N router for an N access point? If so there ain't much point, a normal N dual-band should cover my needs I think. Just house/pool coverage.

And are internal PCI adapters better than USB? Or is that just a stupid thing in my head?

Oh, and there is no such thing as a nice HP all-in one. Period. :yep2:

EDITED BITS: Ooops, my bad. Lexmark is the hated brand, my apologies HP. :oops:

And are internal PCI adapters better than USB? Or is that just a stupid thing in my head?

I don't mean to keep promoting linksys products but...:p

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124342

Digi you should always try to use the 5GHz band for N whenever possible (it has more channels than 2.4GHz and doesn't have to worry about b/g legacy adapters, but it has slightly lower range than 2.4GHz).

Access points are just a wifi box hanging off your LAN to allow wifi clients to connect. They relay dhcp from the main router so that you can still 'see' machines on the access point. Access points do not route, but most routers can be configured as access points. Access points don't care which 802.11 mode your main router is using as their wifi is independent.

You can also configure many wifi routers as wifi repeaters/relays, in which case they are not on your cat5, but merely extending the signal of the existing router. The trouble with repeaters is they need to be close enough to the main router that they get a great signal. As such you can cover far more house with two access points than with two repeaters.
Also repeaters can only repeat the 802.11 modes supported by both the main router and the repeated.

So put your main router in one part of the house and run cat5/6 through the attic/basement to the other part of the house (no baseboard mangling) and put another access point there.

Or use 2-3 repeaters.

Back