Any news on QDR?

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
:devilish: :devilish: :devilish: :devilish:

OK, a long time ago I promised that I would go berserk next time I heard someone mention QDR. So I had to keep my word. :D

There is no such thing as the QDR you think you want, and never will be. QDR is a memory standard for very special dual ported SRAMs. They are not useful to get high bandwidth per pin. The precense of QDR as some upcoming fast memory standard is a myth.

The closest you might get is QBM of www.kentrontech.com. But they always seem to lag the high speed memory of gfx cards. It seems like a good way to get mid end performance out of low end memory though. (If they actually deliver.)

Basic said:
AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
:devilish: :devilish: :devilish: :devilish:

OK, a long time ago I promised that I would go berserk next time I heard someone mention QDR. So I had to keep my word. :D

There is no such thing as the QDR you think you want, and never will be. QDR is a memory standard for very special dual ported SRAMs. They are not useful to get high bandwidth per pin. The precense of QDR as some upcoming fast memory standard is a myth.

The closest you might get is QBM of www.kentrontech.com. But they always seem to lag the high speed memory of gfx cards. It seems like a good way to get mid end performance out of low end memory though. (If they actually deliver.)

I think you forgot Yellowstone... :rolleyes:

Nebuchadnezzar said:
I think you forgot Yellowstone... :rolleyes:

HA! Speak of the devil. I was just thinking about ODR that when reading his post. Was tempted to post, but he's scaring me right now... ;)

y_odr.jpg

EDIT: Ohh, wait, I see what he means.

I'm well aware about Yellowstone. But he did talk about QDR, not ODR. :p :D
And then there's the "political incorrectnes" about rambus, so I didn't want to bring it up. :) OTOH (yes I'm arguing with myself here), you could maybe call it "QDR" on the basis that it transfer 4 bit per clock and data line. (It uses differential lines.) It still wouldn't be QDR (TM) though.

QBM might become good for main RAM, since that usually isn't as fast as gfx card RAM. Note though that right now we have had DDR400 for some time, and you could even get DDR433. VIAs P4X800 chipset can handle QBM 533 and will ship at end of 03Q1. By then we might very well have faster usual DDR memory (I mean faster than DDR433). So it's not sure that QBM will have any big performance gain above DDR. Hopefully it could be cheaper since it uses cheaper chips. But for that to happen it need to be a hit, to get high volumes and price competition.

I might sound more negative about QBM than I actually am. I realy think it's a cool idea. It's just that I've followed Kentrontechs claims for several years now, and while they always seem to claim twice the performance of other memories, they've at best been just slightly better than other system memories. And they lose against high end memory (like memories on gfx cards) by a factor ~2.

Back