Any musicians here? MIDI sequencer noob questions thread...

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
I get the impression that standalone (or keyboard integrated) synthesizer modules are somewhat out of vogue these days, and replaced with what seems to be a high-tech, software driven version of the good/bad ol' soundfont.

So one would need a sequencer for the computer in order to plink out "twinkle, twinkle, little star" on a keyboard - which is kind an accurate description of the level I am on personally, sigh...

So what's recommended these days, Cubase? Kind of big and overpowered isn't it? Any free alternatives? Any advice greatly appreciated, thankyous. :)

It really depends on what you want to do with it. Cubase is probably a bit beyond what you need if you're at the nursery rhyme stage.

If you just want to make some interesting noises while you learn to play keys on a MIDI controller, grab some demo software of things like FLStudio and Reason and plink away.

If you want to learn how to plink I can recommend http://synthesiagame.com/

There is a free version that you can try out which is missing some of the modes.

I have seen a couple of bad things though.
* Running on the Microsoft SW syth introduced too high latency too be playable, but there are better synthesizers.
* Alot of the midi-files you can find on the net are not suitably arranged, one track for each hand for the keyboard.

You may also want to try GarageBand (part of the iLife package). Its MIDI support is limited (no MIDI out IIRC), but there is already a lot to play for beginners.

Back