Any music player recommendations? (includes some ranting)

Does anybody knows a decent, good working mediaplayer for windows?

On my main rig I always use windows media player which I thinks works fine as I really don't need a million different options. However on my netbook MP is fucked. For some reason the library folder just doesn't want to show up so I can't enter the location of my files. Other than formatting your pc it doesn't seem there is any solution to this problem. The internet is full of this problem, MS knows it but MS doesn't care. Or maybe they do care and they just can't fix it. Which wouldn't surprise me one bit because if you have programmers so fucking stupid they can't even manage to make a folder select windows work properly I doubt they have anyone working for them that can.

Well, OK. No problem. So I thought lets check out winamp. Everybody always talks about how great it is so it must be capable of just showing my arists/albums on a cover basis. If you go to their site it actually shows the layout I want right away.

DONT FUCKING THINK SO! If you thought WM is bad than fuck me jezus but this is the worst piece of shit I've ever seen. After telling the installer about 10 times you don't want any free shit, fucking toolbars or be a part of their data mining plan this shit still installs music I didn't want. But worst of all whats with that layout? They got atleast 10 different boxes showing at the same time. All equally useless! Just give me the album art layout. Well, after 5 minutes clicking around and still not being able to find out just how the fuck you manage to do something which really should be goddamn simple I removed this turd.

Now what? The only player I know of that does what I want is iTunes. But I hate apple. Installing iTunes would feel like Steve rubbing his wrinkly penis over my face with a facial expression going like: Didn't I told you?

I just want a player showing my music based on album art like WM does. Don't need anything fancy just something that allows me to select my music in a fast and easy manner.

Does anybody knows a decent, good working mediaplayer for windows?

On my main rig I always use windows media player which I thinks works fine as I really don't need a million different options. However on my netbook MP is fucked. For some reason the library folder just doesn't want to show up so I can't enter the location of my files. Other than formatting your pc it doesn't seem there is any solution to this problem. The internet is full of this problem, MS knows it but MS doesn't care. Or maybe they do care and they just can't fix it. Which wouldn't surprise me one bit because if you have programmers so fucking stupid they can't even manage to make a folder select windows work properly I doubt they have anyone working for them that can.

Well, OK. No problem. So I thought lets check out winamp. Everybody always talks about how great it is so it must be capable of just showing my arists/albums on a cover basis. If you go to their site it actually shows the layout I want right away.

DONT FUCKING THINK SO! If you thought WM is bad than fuck me jezus but this is the worst piece of shit I've ever seen. After telling the installer about 10 times you don't want any free shit, fucking toolbars or be a part of their data mining plan this shit still installs music I didn't want. But worst of all whats with that layout? They got atleast 10 different boxes showing at the same time. All equally useless! Just give me the album art layout. Well, after 5 minutes clicking around and still not being able to find out just how the fuck you manage to do something which really should be goddamn simple I removed this turd.

Now what? The only player I know of that does what I want is iTunes. But I hate apple. Installing iTunes would feel like Steve rubbing his wrinkly penis over my face with a facial expression going like: Didn't I told you?

I just want a player showing my music based on album art like WM does. Don't need anything fancy just something that allows me to select my music in a fast and easy manner.

Ouch dunno what to tell you, the last time I used anything other than Windows Media Player for music playback was back in 1999, and that was Winamp. :p

Regards,
SB

iTunes IS shit. I wouldn't have it on my PC if I didn't have an iPhone, and I need the piece of junk software to update the phone's firmware. However, if you absolutely don't want to reinstall your laptop, why not just try it (Steve Jobs' wrinkly penis and all, ugh, thanks for that mental image) until you get into the mindset required to finally do that spring cleaning of the lappy?

It should be all the motivation you need! :D

As for other software, if stuff like Mediaplayer Classic and whatnot can't do what you want, I'm not sure anything will. It seems to me the mediaplayer software market has sort of died out in the last couple years, with microsoft and apple taking over so much of it with their respective pre-installed softwares. Most people don't seem to bother to want to go out and look for alternatives if the default is good enough. (This is what drove IE6 to domination in the browser market... The success of mediocrity! :LOL:)

I use winamp, a file menager and drag'n'drop files and directories to it ; I use pcmanfm and audacious to do the same under linux.

never got into dealing with the metadata and "libraries" as it seems it would require work tied into a particular software and OS.
music_directory/artist/album and that's it.

I'll maybe build a directory with genre directories (punk, rock thingy, dub thingy, jazz, soul/funk etc.), each genre directory just containing symlinks to artist directories. :)
(windows 7 should handle those symlinks though I don't know if I have to convert the ntfs file system to a newer version) (I hope that if I do that ntfs-3g will handle the symlinks too)

Still using Winamp also. Just for online radio though - it's still way better at that than any alternatives I've seen so far.

Yeah foobar2000 used to be really modifiable in terms of appearance with some plug-ins (at some point there were incompatibilities with some of the older plug-ins so I'm not sure how it is now). I personally use Aimp which in looks is similar to the classic Winamp skin.

looks nice! I do the occasional deezer, or just youtube.
well what I want ideally is a web application to host on the private or local machine that stores the files. :oops: there's some open source stuff that I will try out.
something really simple for quick and ubiquitous access.

but well, more simple than setting up a whole web server and site, I should try drag'n'drop links from browser to the winamp playlist (I've just found out it's possible by googling, had no idea such a feature was present)

I've just found this wicked web server winamp plugin http://www.ajaxamp.com/

I don't doubt some networking fun is possible with foobar 2000, xmms2 and maybe audacious.

simple and extensible software FTW!

Coverjuke sounds like what you want, I can't say as I've used it though. You might also search through the ridiculous amount of winamp plug-ins and skins, there should be one out there somewhere.

I still use Winamp exclusively for music. It still supports Winamp 2 plugins so I can keep using my registered Izotope Ozone plugin that kicks ass. I also like its Shoutcast integration.

Back