Any good free antivirus ?

As I understand they are offering me a AVG 7.5 for "only" $ 29.95
3dbox-avw-price-1-year.-en.gif

Well, of course they want you to upgrade to PRO... That's why they offer the free one. To gain market share. However, I think you will be perfectly able to just update to the new free edition.
I understand and agree, but their advertise induce us to think there is no alternative like a AVG free 7.5

STAY PROTECTED: Your AVG Anti-Virus Free 7.1 will be discontinued on 15. January 2007!

Also the AVG 7.1 page says nothing about 7.5 too.

Thanks a lot Killer, Zaphod, Rambler and hupfinsgack for your help :D

I understand and agree, but their advertise induce us to think there is no alternative like a AVG free 7.5
Really? I thought this quote:
Users that are using AVG Free 7.1 will be provided with a specific dialog, within the next few weeks, with the opportunity to choose the right option fulfilling their needs.
implied that they'd include an option with a link to the updated free version, just (much?) less prominent, perhaps, than the 'Stay protected, upgrade to PRO today' alternative. If it didn't, that's perhaps a bit underhanded.

But it's all sorted now, right?

I vote Avast!
Partly because it found a trojan in an old .zip that other scans had missed, partly because they were first with free x64 support, partly because I can't be bothered trying AVG/other...

Well, boo to them for the somewhat deceptive information to their users then. :( Yet, yay to them for still providing a decent product at no cost. :smile:
A slightly redundant bump, but I just talked a friend through this update, and there was information on the new 7.5 Free edition in the warning/information box (albeit in tiny letters at the very bottom of the dialog).

I vote Avast!
Partly because it found a trojan in an old .zip that other scans had missed, partly because they were first with free x64 support, partly because I can't be bothered trying AVG/other...

I'd be careful if one antivirus software finds something no other does. False positives are a lot more common than most people assume and sometimes antivirus software does act overzealous.

I vote Avast!

Another vote for Avast.

I personally prefer ActiveVirusShild from AOL. (Yer I know, bad company) The installer comes with a toolbar, but you can choose not to install it and besides that seems clean.

The virus engine is from Kaspersky and is the same they use in their own products AFAIK.

Back