Any direct ip connection file sharing programs?

Fox5

Veteran
Not like kazaa, but I guess like an ftp program or something? Where we can directly connect to each other and share files and not have to search through tons of others or connect to a server? My friends and I are often sending files back and forth over AIM, but it can get real annoying with AIM's 30Kb/sec transfer limit. Sure, it may only take like 10 minutes, but we're impatient, and would rather have it done in 1.
Oh, I also wanna format my sister's labtop for her(to get rid of an evil mean partition), but I'll have to back up her stuff first. Anyway I could just hook her computer to mine(over an ethernet cable, though I may be able to use firewire too) and download her harddrive onto my computer?

You can get a cross over cable to connect two computers directly using ethernet.

To replace AIM you could use an FTP program, but you'd need to setup an FTP server on one machine. A better option might be to setup a VPN. I know you can do this with Windows XP. Two of my friends have tried to set one up and things went smoothly for one, but not for the other. I'm sure if you look around for details you'll figure it out. Good luck.

DirectConnect is a pretty easy to use File Sharing program. Especially amongst friends.

Just secure it with a password, and you and your friends can share.

I use MSN with my friends and it seems to work perfect, no speed limit either. At least I can max out my ul @ 75K, so msn is limiting anything for me.

Tagrineth said:
Fox5 said:
with AIM's 30Kb/sec transfer limit.

Huh? I've received files at over 100kb/sec over AIM...

Wierd, well I've never gotten over 30 KB(maybe like 31) on AIM, and I figure if I'm connecting ot someone only a few blocks away from me on the same isp(with a download speed like 100 times that, and an upload 50 times that)

Back